Thursday, August 3, 2023

Operation Endgame

Hey friends, let's pick it up where we left off from the last post.  As you may be aware from my many rants about it on the blog, for the past few years my work situation has felt like this.  Sure I've been looking for a new job and sure I've gotten lots of interviews and one job offer but nothing that really looks any different.

The full picture is this:

It's time for me to tell you what I've been thinking about for the past few months and officially launch Operation Endgame.  Let's figure out how much longer I'm going to stare at that open door before I walk out of it.

My Work Options

Option #1: stay in my sucky job and continue to be unhappy - the default outcome.

Option #2: get a new job and quit my sucky job - the preferred outcome.

Option #3: tell my sucky job to shove it with the traditional two weeks notice without having another job lined up - not preferred but definitely an option.

Option #4: work out a deal with my boss to leave the company at the end of the year.  This gives me a bit more money and keeps us on our cushy insurance for the rest of the year so that we don't have to start over on a new deductible mid year (saves $0 if everyone stays healthy/saves a few thousand if something happens).  I think work would go for this because it keeps me on the desk until my boss gets back from maternity leave, and they tend to be very slow about hiring.  In the event that I get a new job by the end of the year, I'll renege and leave with a two week notice.  This is my current plan

Note to anyone who wants to play along at home - telling your employer that you want to leave at a future date is risky.  They are under no obligation to keep you on until your preferred date.  I'm only doing this because I can afford it and I think I'll go mental if I keep up the act that everything is just fine for much longer.

The Timeline

My boss's boss is on vacation until the end of August, so there's no one to quit to until then.  This gives me one last shot to change my mind/have something amazing happen on the job search front.  It wouldn't be nice for me to quit on her first day back, and oh ho a few days after her return is when I become eligible for my first stock vesting in the new company (which will either be free money in a few years or total garbage depending on what these clowns do with the business).  My current intention is to quit on August 28.

What's Next

Here's where it gets cute - once I'm rid of the toxic job, I may or may not go back to work. I'll continue to apply to jobs in hopes of finding that special unicorn, but I won't sign up for a seat in the next available jail cell.  I'll also be open to taking contract roles, so maybe I'll work a bit here and there.

But wait you're saying, you have a family and you said in the last post that you're the breadwinner for insurance in your house.  You've got teenagers and one of your dreams is to have them graduate from college with no student loan debt (actually I don't remember if I've ever shared this on the blog, but yes starting the boys out in life owing nothing to no one is high on my list).  So why are you talking about leaving your job?

Just a few years ago I would never ever have considered leaving a job with nothing lined up or considered the possibility of not working. So what's changed? 

TL&DR I'm older and my financial situation is looking pretty sweet.

A Look Inside My Wallet

When I was 22, I graduated from college with no career prospects and got a temp job for $6 an hour.

Around the same time, my parents heard about a book called Your Money or Your Life.  They read it from cover to cover and then passed it on to me.  While I was sitting in my temp cubicle racking in $6 an hour, I read about financial independence and the tales of folks who started from nothing, saved their dough, and left the rat race behind.  I took notes.

That's as far as I went with financial independence, or FI as we used to call it in those days.  I saved all my spare change and split it between money in the bank and mutual funds that seemed to have good rates of return.  I didn't make very much money back then, but between the ages of 22 to 39 I bought a house, made it through a year long stint of un/under employment during the Great Recession, paid for a grad degree out of pocket, and built up a very nice FU fund.

After grad school I started making moar money and slowly started spending more money, but I also started doing cute tricks like maxing out my 401k and HSA (Health Savings Account).  I was relatively happy in my job, so I just kept socking away money with no goal.  I acquired a family along the way, and went from being an "I" to a "we".  The hubs and I started with completely separate finances, but over time we've merged a few things together.  We handle money a bit differently, but compatibly.  I'm better at investing (lol put money in an index fund and leave it there) and he's better at big ticket items like houses and cars.  Our superpower as a couple is calling each other out anytime that one of us gets too cheap.

A few years ago I was amused to see this article in The New York Times about the FI movement.  These days it's called FIRE - Financial Independence Retire Early.  Lots of the FIREees profiled in the article are bloggers, and I enjoyed digging into the blogs and reading how the cool kids do it nowadays.  But it was all for entertainment purposes.  I'm all in favor of not working if you don't want/have to, but I didn't understand why everyone had such an issue with their jobs.  Sheesh if your job sucks just find a new one.

A few months ago the follow up NYT article showed up in my internet world, and there was a section that addressed this: "Instead of leaving the work force, why not find a more rewarding job?".  Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking!!!  The answer: "they didn't consider that option...they were so burned out from their jobs by the time they quit they still look back on the experience with something akin to post-traumatic stress" 

My jaw dropped.  Yes, this describes my situation to a T.  Two years ago when I left my previous job the idea of not working wasn't something that I ever imagined.  Today it's looking mighty appealing.  A good chunk of the inspiration has been from starting to spend our investments.

What Happened When We Started Spending our Investments

I have a lot of experience with saving money, and as you may have guessed, not so much experience with taking it out of investments and spending it.  The early results have been very positive.

Experiment in Spending #1

Remember that HSA?  I haven't contributed anything to it since I left my previous job two years ago (that had the kind of insurance that makes you eligible to contribute to an HSA) and we've had a ton of medical expenses so you'd figure we'd have used that sucker up by now.  Except we haven't.  The balance is half in cash and half in investments, and that sucker just seems to regrow itself every time we take money out.

Experiment in Spending #2

The hubs and I both hold 529 (college savings) accounts for the boys, which goes back to the days when we had completely separate finances.  He started his accounts when the boys were small, I started mine when we got married and I had extra cash from selling my house.  By freak coincidence the balances in the accounts are very close.

Hubs told me that saving for college was hopeless.  I told him that based on what I'd just paid for my graduate degree that he was talking nonsense.

So who was right?  I don't mean to say I told you so (much), but now that we have a price tag for stepson #1's degree, it's going to be about what the two of us have set aside for him.  And then Mr. Smarty Pants got himself a partial scholarship so the current projection is that he will almost certainly have money left over from his 4 year degree.  My early research says that leftover 529 funds can be kept in the 529 account if he ever wants to go to grad school, or he can transfer the funds to a Roth IRA (retirement) so that boy is set.

We don't know what school stepson #2 will attend or what the cost will be, but he has two more years of earnings power than his brother does, so it feels pretty safe to say that we've got him covered.

Other Sources of Inspiration

I'll start with the positive role model.  You may have heard the phrase "green with envy", but every Tuesday morning when I go to the blogosphere I turn purple with envy when I read the latest post from A Purple Life.  I've read a ton of finance/FIRE blogs, but she's the clear winner.  I started reading her blog back when she was still working and it's been so fun to watch her plan unfold in what is now year three of retirement.

On the negative side...I've been thinking a lot about the concept of what is enough and some of the icky things that I've seen in the business world.  In that vein of thought, someone like Elizabeth Holmes or these guys have been very inspirational role models for What Not To Do.  Having enough money to take care of yourself and your family is great, but it seems like there are diminishing returns after that.

The Plan

I've got a chunk of money in retirement accounts and a chunk of money in non-retirement investments.  Based on what I spend, I should be able to comfortably fund my lifestyle from the age of now (48) to the age when I can start taking money out of retirement (59.5).  This includes continuing to put money into our joint checking account for shared expenses, continuing to fund the boys' 529 accounts, more travel that I do currently, and little details like my 10 year old car isn't going to last for ever.  It's possible that the investment returns will be more than I spend, so I might get to have my cake and eat it too.  Like I said, I'm open to another job or doing contract work so the odds that I'll be totally living off my FU money are slim, but I *should* be able to get by on my nest egg.

The tradeoff is that the hubs will have to be our breadwinner for insurance.  That works right now because he likes his job.  We'll spend a bit more than we currently do for my plan, but nothing that's going to wreck us.  Long term there is some risk - he might lose his job, once he sees me not working he might want to join in, he's probably going to want to retire before I'm eligible for Medicare, yada, yada.

My assignment before I quit my job is to find out how this insurance thing works.  I know that a lot of the FIRE squad uses Obamacare with varying results - some people pay nothing and others pay OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME for healthcare. The system isn't meant to be easy to figure out, but there are people who know the ropes.  I'm tracking down names to talk to someone to figure out what our lives would look like if we were paying for our own insurance.

Why Am I Running My Mouth Instead of Quitting Today?

For practical reasons, it's nice to have the cash from working the rest of the year and a little more time on our insurance.  But that's not the real reason.

The truth is that I'm scared.  All of my research tells me that the jail cell door is really open and that nothing bad will happen if I walk through it.  But the jail cell is what I'm used to.

As far as what I will do if I stop working - it will be exactly the same as now but without that pesky work in the way.  I'll get up at the same time as the rest of the family, workout, have me a nice long relax on the internets, possibly study up on stuff that I'm interested in/watch movies, cook dinner for the fam, and take my little side trips when they're away at Boy Scout camp.  Purple is 100% my role model that you don't need to "do" anything in retirement.  I think that after a while I will get bored, but that I'll find things to do.  And/or I may go back to work.

My only fear is that something would happen to us on the health insurance front.  Having been invested in mutual funds since the late 90s, I've weathered plenty of stock market oopsies, so that's not a concern.  What goes down really does come back up.

I would, however, like a bit more time to think about all of this.  I'm leaving my current job because I can afford to send the message that it's not OK to bleed your employees for money.  If I worked for two more years, I'd be 50 which seems like an auspicious age to leave the rat race.  If I worked for six more years, that would see both boys through to the end of their undergrad degrees.  If I worked for 10 more years, that would be when stepson #2 is 26 and we will for sure not have any kids on our insurance.  I'm not seeing a reason to work after the next 10 years - unless something changes and I want to.

Who's heard of FI/FIRE?  At what age do you plan to stop working?  Or have you already made the leap?


28 comments:

  1. Wow, I read this whole blog post and I love how much you shared. It's rare that people talk openly about their financial situations so I found it super interesting to get a window into yours. I am exactly like you in that I was super frugal in my 20s and early 30s and even today at 44 live well below my means. My husband and I have separate finances and I have enough to retire tomorrow. However, I like my current job so I will stick with it until I don't! When I retire I plan to start my own consulting agency and write another book. It's inspiring to hear your story and to see you stand up for yourself in this situation. Kudos to you for being so smart with your money; I feel like that's the exception not the rule these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that being frugal from 20-ish to about 35 is the secret sauce! As long as I liked my job, it was a pleasure to work. For the past 2 years and counting not so much.

      I'm glad that work is good for you but I can't wait until you retire. I want that second book!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Birchy, this entire post - every word - showcases why I want to be your BFF because you are so smart and so balanced, and I admire you so much. This is such a balanced and brilliant approach to finances. I am a person who is also risk-adverse, and who is a "sock away the cash" kind of gal - remember The Wealthy Barber? - and I really appreciate you laying out your whole procedure here. I think it's a really wise approach. Things are a little different here but our kids will not have educational debt either.
    Your job sounds honestly miserable and I can see why it's gotten to the point that it affects your mental health. Good for you for addressing it.
    Other than very part-time gigs like writing for a website, or teaching yoga, I haven't worked really since 2004 and I can say I fill my days easily. So you will too!
    The jail cell door is open, and of course there is a little Stockholm Syndrome involved, but you can do this! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stockholm syndrome! That's what it's called.

      The idea of not working feels strange, but I have a feeling that I'll adapt to it very quickly. I'm just so over it.

      Delete
  3. PS you're one of my favourite people in Blogland, and I am so happy to know you. If I didn't already just move maybe I'd move down the street from you and we could hang out.
    PPS Did that sound weird and stalker-y? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no such thing as weird in the Cool Bloggers club (or the "Real People Bloggers" club as I also think of us). The only difference between us is that you're full Boyhouse but I at least have a girl dog for company with my guys. You never know what the future holds, we might meet someday.

      Delete
  4. I am very familiar with FIRE. My husband and I are very big savers/frugal by nature - especially my husband who spends so little money. We met with an advisor during the summer of 2020 to figure out how much longer we both needed to remain at our income levels. The exercise was more to figure out how much term life insurance he should get but the analysis showed us that we just needed to work for 10 more years. I don't know that we would both retire - we will need excellent health care since I have RA and need very expensive medication to manage it, but the advisor included the Cadillac of insurance plans and we could still be done in 10 years, so 7 year from now. I will have a 9yo in 7 years since I had kids so late in life but we included the goal of paying for their college in the plan. We are lucky to work in well compensated (albeit unstable) industries as we both work in asset management. The time value of money is more powerful than people can imagine. I'm a math major so it's a pretty easy concept for me to grasp but if you leave things alone and don't panic, things usually work out - it's the putting money to work part that is key.

    I am glad you have some plans to get you out of your horrible job! Having a plan and knowing you can do something about it is powerful. I've been stuck in other jobs due to a relocation package and it's an awful feeling to not be able to change jobs! And in those cases, I had 1 and 2 year commitments - so not that long in the grad scheme of things. I was able to break the 2 year commitment at 1 year and my new employer gave me a signing bonus to pay off the fee for breaking that commitment. But a year of misery can feel like a very very long year. Those were my "crying in the bathroom" years, and they were back-to-back years of misery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - you don't know if you will retire and I am not saying that I will never work again, but it's powerful to know that we could.

      1 to 2 years is not a long time UNLESS YOU'RE STUCK IN A MISERABLE JOB. Ick on being locked down through a relocation package. I can already tell that you have me beat in work misery.

      Delete
  5. I have so many thoughts, Birchie!
    First, I'm so glad you have a plan and honestly it sounds...pretty great. To have a date on the table and to know that whatever happens you're financially secure must be a big relief.
    Second, this is my jam! My husband and I are hoping to retire early. He's older than I am but I think we'd both move to part-time on some side-hustles. He currently travels for work 40% of the time and he's aiming to be done traditional work like that in the next 5 years.
    We entered our marriage with no debt (I came out of university with money in the bank due to saving every penny my whole life + scholarships), but basically lived on a shoestring for the next decade. It was tough. We had two small kids, a tiny apartment in a not great location, and bought only reduced produce at the store to save money (we still do that!). We bootstrapped two small businesses and worked our butts off.
    When we finally could buy a house, we bought below our means and are on pace to have our mortgage paid off next year (under 7 years after purchasing). We buy a lot of things used (cars, clothing, electronics), still manage to travel to some pretty cool places, and save the rest (interest rates are great for this right now, too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just filled in a missing puzzle piece for me. Now that I know your endgame I'm so excited to see you reap the reward in 5 years.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I didn't realize how stressful things were for you. Looks like you've done a lot of planning and have a plan of action in place. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wasn't complaining just to run my mouth. My workdays are boring at best and incredibly stressful at worst. I'm torn between kind of wanting to find another job and wanting to take time off...maybe a little time off/maybe permanent time off. We'll see how it unfolds.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a plan. I only work casual hours from home for our small business, my husband works full-time-ish but he would like to retire before the official retirement age. So I can completely understand where you're coming from. It's a good place to be in that you don't have to continue working in a job that's draining you, it's alwys good to have choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sweet. Well done, Birchie!!! That's exactly what FIRE money is for.
    I discovered Mr Money Mustache in 2012 and realized we could FIRE in 2018 at 50. Having no kids and double incomes helped.
    My husband still works a bit, but more for fun. He only takes on the clients that he wants to work with.
    I'm so grateful we could do this.
    Once you leave that prison, you will be the happiest person on earth. Way to go, Birchie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The double income situation is very sweet. I feel like I have the best of both worlds on the kid situation. I contribute $200 per kid to their college funds each month, and plan to continue until the boys are 22. Once we're at the point where their college funding is guaranteed, I'll switch the contribution over to an index fund account so that they have starter FU funds. Hopefully that sets the example that small steps done consistently add up to big $.

      I'm so looking forward to working for fun...or not at all.

      Delete
  9. Woot woot! This is a wildly exciting plan, Birchie!! I am so impressed!

    My husband and I are pretty frugal and have saved a LOT over our marriage (and we were both fortunate to graduate college without debt, although he is still paying off medical school loans), but we are not great at investing. Good at saving, not good at putting those savings anywhere they can grow. We finally got a financial advisor to help us with the growing part, so I hope we are on our way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being good at saving is the first step. That makes it easy for the financial advisor to have something to work with to make it grow.

      Delete
  10. Wow, I don't think I saw this coming... this is a much better option than I anticipated for you. FIRE is such an interesting concept... but hey, if you can swing it, why the heck not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why the heck not is a great question! I go back and forth between "dude we've got this" to "once I quit x,y, and z catastrophic events will happen..." it's a big change.

      Delete
  11. The only reason to stay in a job that you hate is if you can't afford to quit and would be letting your family down (like not being able to pay for college.) Obviously this is not the case for you! Life is too short to be miserable like that, so I love this plan for you. Health insurance is always the sticking point. My husband wants to retire in four years, and we get our benefits from his job. He'll be eligible for medicare at that point, but I will not, plus we have the kids. It sounds like you don't have to worry about this (as long as you can convince your husband to keep working.) But if you do end up exploring Obamacare, I'll be interested to hear about it.
    I'm very excited about this, especially because if you stop working I hope you'll blog more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, talk to an insurance broker! In my state, the premiums are tied to your income so the less you make, the cheaper it is. The downside is that the plan that we would get will cover less than my current insurance so our health care costs will go up. But the worst case is only a few thousand more than what I'm paying for our premiums anyway.

      Delete
  12. This is amazing! I am proud of you for being at this point where you can make this decision! I have not heard of FI/FIRE but love that you started early and now it's gonna pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels weird to be here. Knowing that we have college figured out was so freeing. Work seriously isn't as important as it used to be.

      Delete
  13. Birchie, you should definitely quit (PS aren't you worried someone from your current job will see this post?) if you can. Even if you quit, putz around for a few months or years and then decide to go back, you have lost nothing! I think that the jail or the expectations of others or the "normal life" or the fear of what the outside world looks like keeps a lot of us from making a change and I think that once you step foot out that door and taste the fresh air, you will be glad that you did it.

    I took off for a year twice and for six months three times and traveled the world and these years were the best in my life. I learned a lot about other cultures and myself during this time and you know what else I learned? If I got back and was broke and needed to go back to work, I figured something out. I am ready to do it again and your post is inspiring me!

    If you have not already watched/listened to (YouTube/podcast) the Two Sides of Fi, you should. It is two guys in their late 40s who are friends. One retired in 2020 and the other is planning on retiring next year. It is interesting to hear the retired guys point of view (he did get bored and now works at a winery FOR FUN) vs the non-retired guy's point of view (he is scared, feels like he should put it off, is worried about his investments etc.) I think it would be good for you to hear both sides of the coin. Also if you ever want to spitball about this subject, I could talk about it for hours, so just email me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has given me a long to do list! In reverse order:
      - I'm going to drop everything and listen to Two Sides of FI
      - I'm jealous of the 2 x 1 years and the 3 x 6 months off. I don't have a lot of life regrets but one of them is keeping my nose to the grindstone in 2009 and working crappo jobs instead of just relaxing and traveling.
      - Zero worries! My blog is separate from my "real" life and I've been complaining about this job for about a year and a half pretty openly. The only precaution that I've ever taken is not sharing confidential things ahead of time - example I knew about the layoffs and the plan to withhold the bonus in early July and I kept my mouth shut until it was announced and became public knowledge. In two weeks work will know exactly how I feel anyway so the risk to me is slim to none.

      Delete
  14. I love that you have been such a smart investor/saver and can now afford to quit your job when you have the insurance thing figured out! That in and of itself is a real blessing and something to keep the stress from becoming overwhelming. Just knowing you have options is freeing.

    I have no idea whether we will be able to retire. My husband worked hard and got a PhD with the goal of becoming a college professor, but that didn't work out and he spent many years underemployed. I didn't want to commute to another city for work, and thus have spent many years underemployed. We are both playing catch up now, trying to sock away as much as we can, but we're now pushing our late 50s and time is running out. We don't have any debt beyond our mortgage, but still, it is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Birchie. I confess to insane jealousy. I am... not in this position. Not getting into the gory details, but I do not have the nest egg I thought I would have at this point in my life. I like to think I'm relatively frugal, but... sigh. I clicked on the link for the book and have added a copy to my Amazon cart. A purchase that IS worthwhile, for sure. Thanks for sharing your amazing story. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete