Monday, August 28, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Back to School Edition

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  This week we had possibly the Best Ever first week of school, I went on a nacho spree for lunch, saw an epic movie with the fam, went on a Little House podcast binge, and shored up my plan for Operation Endgame.

Back to School (Stepkid Bragz)

If the first week is any indication, we're going to have an epic school year.  Stepson #1 has taken to college like a duck to water.  Stepson #2 is in a career prep program at high school, which means that he gets to take engineering classes for the first half of his school day.  Man, back in my day high school and the first year of college were just the same old classes all over again but kids these days actually get to mix it up and do stuff that they might use IRL.

Eats

Nothing much is going on.  I've been eating nachos for lunch on repeat: a base of tortillas, a few dabs of refried beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream and of course green onions.

Workouts

More of the same, which is currently the Beginners series in the CGX app plus a collection of "I made it up myself" run/walk finishers.  I hope you're sitting down when I tell you this, but my longest running intervals have gotten up to HALF A MILE.  I don't have a plan for what I'm doing with all this, I'm just mentioning it.

Watching

I started watching the TV version of The Handmaid's Tale back in June right after I read the book.  I haven't been watching very much TV so it's taken me this long to finish episode four and...I think that's a far as I'm going with it.  I stand by what I said before that the acting is excellent, and I think that if I hadn't read the book I might keep watching.  The problem is that the book is on the shorter side and very sleekly and efficiently written.  A TV show that's six seasons and counting...they've had to bloat up the story so much already that I can't stand it.

In happier news, stepson #2 came across some memes from Pulp Fiction and the next thing you know, we're sitting down to watch the movie on Friday.  This is the second time that I've seen it, and the first time was with the hubs 10 years ago early in our relationship.  Stepson #1 came home toward the end of the movie and was so confused, because it's definitely not something that you can walk in on the middle of and pick up what's going on.

Afterwards it took all three of us to recap the story in chronological order and figure out the time span (at least two days).  It was a fun puzzle to work out.  From there we got sidetracked to Youtube videos on MacGuffins, so I think we may be heading back to Alfred Hitchcock territory for family movie viewing.

Reads

I'm still reading and still enjoying The Maltese Falcon but that's not what I want to talk about right now.  Thanks to HI NICOLE I am deep down in a Little House rabbit hole.  Nicole brought to the blogsphere's attention that there is a podcast about the Little House books called Wilder and I couldn't download it fast enough.

My status with the Little House books is duh of course I've read them - both as a child and as an adult and I still own my childhood copies.  Wait, you don't know me so I better back that statement up.

How I feel about the books is "it's complicated".  Yes I loved them or I wouldn't have read them so many times, but also the books made me feel a strong sense of guilt as a young 'un for all of the things that I had that Laura didn't have.  In later years I read Ghost in the Little House (the book that claimed that Rose Wilder Lane ghostwrote all of the Little House books) and I've heard the talk about the political agenda that she wove into the books.  My opinion from what I know so far is: ghostwriter - no, weird politics - of course.

You can say what you want about RWL but two of her novels are high on my list of all time favorites.  Diverging Roads was published in 1919.  A small town girl bootstraps her way up from nothing to becoming a telegraph operator, marries a no-goodnik, gets dumped, rebootstraps in real estate, and then becomes a journalist as one does.  It's been a while since I've read it and it's hard to find, but I remember that it was a page turning adventure.

Next up is a book that I only know about because I found it at a library book sale many years ago.  Let the Hurricane Roar is about a young pioneer couple named Charles and Caroline and their first year of marriage.  It's a very short book, but the writing is so good and the story is razor tight.  As the podcast explains, the backstory on how the book came to be is...it's weird but it doesn't tarnish my memories of all of the winter nights when I bundled into bed and read about the seven day blizzard in the dugout.  It really is LH for adults.

On thing that made me say hm is when the podcast deals with the racism in the books (my opinion on that is hi 1930's, we see you), and someone who was interviewed said "this shouldn't be taught in schools".  My question is: are the Little House books being taught in schools????  And if so in what grade???  "Back in my day" we read Little House because we were obsessed with it, not because it was a school assignment.  Related question, now that it's not the 1970s and the TV show is long gone, are kids still reading these books?

So anyways I'm gobbling down the podcast like a mad woman.  I'm at the point where they're about to get into the political stuff.

Operation Endgame Update

(the thing where I've decided to quit my job and possibly not go back to work) 

So after going back and forth another billion times the current forecast is that unless I change my mind again, I plan to quit tomorrow.  Why tomorrow?  Because that's when my boss scheduled my performance review.

Since we last talked:

  • The idea of not working continues to grow on me.
  • I'm thinking of this as an experiment to see what happens to my net worth if I stop working for one year rather than a big dramatic "I am never working again".
  • I've gotten more organized about where my money will come from once the paychecks stop.  Plan A was live off my savings account and then at some point take money out of mutual funds to top it off, which was giving me "bag lady" syndrome for some reason.  Instead I'll pull the dividends and capital gains out of the mutual funds and have them deposited in my savings account instead of reinvesting them.  That's about half of the money that I need each year, and it keeps any one part of my nest egg from being depleted.
  • Health insurance is a risk, but again I'm filing this under the "it's just an experiment for one year to see what happens".  As long as the hubs is working, we've got his insurance.  If neither of us was working, insurance is reasonable through the ACA exchange.  Where it could get dicey is if we got into a situation where both of us were bringing in decent income but didn't have an employer's health plan to back us up.  In that situation ACA is ungodly expensive so we'd be looking at some high cost months until one of us nails down employer paid insurance again.

That's the scoop!  I'll update on the job sitch as soon as there is something to report and I get my head around it. 

What's your history with the Little House books and where do you stand on them now? Do you own any of the books?

 

 


19 comments:

  1. Thanks for normalizing nachos as a meal. I'm currently team grilled cheese and quesadillas over here. Yes, I'm an adult, and yes, this good works for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Nachos are a bunch of tortillas on a plate, a quesadilla is one or two tortillas with the same ingredients inside. In either format you've got a good meal.

      Delete
  2. I glanced at our calendar yesterday and thought of you. Is it today when Birchie quits or tomorrow?
    Good luck today with your performance review and quitting! They will do everything to stop you but you're prepared for that.
    You can always go back to work. Any time. Nobody cares about you taking some time off work - the doors will be open if you want to return.
    All I can say is that you will enjoy this experiment immensely. So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you what, after saying the words I feel a ton better. We'll see what they come back with next.

      Delete
  3. I am on the edge of my seat with the job sitch, but SO EXCITED FOR YOU.
    I read the Little House books as a kid and then again as an adult. I own them all (thrifted, of course!). I have mixed feelings, especially after reading some of the biography work of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

    I'm thrilled everyone had a great first week of school. My kids start back in a week and I am NERVOUS (mostly for the 12-year old who HATED Grade 6; how will Grade 7 be??!!)

    I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time a few weeks ago. It was...quite the movie. I can see why is has a cult following. All the swearing isn't really my jam, but I get lots more pop culture references now. And it's DEFINITELY not a movie you can come into partway through - haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you, when the boys come home after their first school day of the year we always know how the year is going to turn out. Phew! Here's hoping that 7th grade will be a magic year.

      I don't know if I would have enjoyed PF as much on my own. Watching it first with the hubs and then 10 years later with #2 was epic.

      Delete
  4. HI BIRCHY!!! Oh, I'm so glad you like that podcast. I am dying for the last one! I loved it so much. Have you read Pioneer Girl and Prairie Fires? Both are interesting and PF talks all about the epic crop failures Pa had in terms of what was going on with the environment - the grasshoppers, etc. So interesting. I think you'll love them.
    As for if they are taught in school, my kids were in a grade 1/2 split class (together!) and they did read LHOP in class, I mean their teacher read it to them and they discussed settlers and what happened to the Indians. Indigenous history has been very important in the Canadian school curriculum in my kids' lifetime (it sure wasn't in mine, sadly) and so they did discuss that. I was very interested to hear their take that it should be taught at the college level. Not sure how I feel, I do think kids can learn but wow, some of the language - and later, the blackface in Little Town - is really gross and shocking.
    And - yay for your stepsons! My younger son started a job yesterday and my older one (please god) moves to campus this weekend.
    I'm glad you're coming more to terms with the job thing!
    I discovered NYPD Blue is on Disney Plus so I have been rewatching a few episodes with the boys, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilder is epic! You know how it is when something is so good that you want to drop everything to finish it but at the same time you want it to last.

      I don't know what the right approach is for the old timey racist stuff. I think it's important to acknowledge that it happened, and I think there is value in seeing it. At the same time I wouldn't pick it for a read out loud book in a classroom.

      I never saw NYPD Blue back in the day, maybe that would be a good one for us to check out.

      Delete
  5. I have that exact set of Little House books. I read them a lot as a child, as well. It was fun revisiting them when the daughters were young (grade school). Now I'm tempted to reread them again! Pulp Fiction is definitely a confusing movie! But, you got me wanting to revisit that as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind - I am toying with the idea of rereading LH. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. Ooh! We'll all be waiting for the job quitting update- this is exciting.
    Little House Books- "duh of course I've read them". I think everyone I knew read them growing up, but I also wonder if kids read them nowadays. That podcast does sound interesting (ghost writer? politics?) so maybe I'll check it out. I haven't read the books in years and years.
    Glad the school year is starting off great! High school is definitely more specialized and focused now- I'm glad your son is embracing it. My daughter on the other hand is pushing back, saying she doesn't want to take any AP classes because she doesn't support the "College Board" and arrrrg! Deep breaths. Just trying to remain calm until this phase (hopefully) passes.
    Pulp Fiction- I've seen it so many times. And it's not even like I love the movie, although there are certain scenes I do love (I love the date with Uma Thurman.) I feel like I don't care if I ever see it again, but I know if it suddenly came on TV I wouldn't be able to tear myself away. Weird movie.
    Nachos! I'm trying to decide on a festive dinner for the first Baylor football game on Saturday, and nachos are a very strong contender right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, last spring #1 told us that he was going to take all remote classes only at night. And then he went to orientation and signed up for in person day classes (you know, the real world schedule) without a peep.

      Nachos are an epic dinner choice! They're practically no cook and they're yummy.

      Delete
  7. I am also on the edge of my seat about your resignation conversation! Please update us on how it goes/went!

    I owned the Little House books - my grandparents gave me a boxed set but that set was destroyed when my basement flooded when I was in HS. :( I don't know that my kids would have been interested in reading them, though. I don't think The Little House books are "taught" - perhaps criticism around them is about whether to have them in the library. My thought is yes, they should absolutely be in the library. All the book banning energy is just RIDICULOUS in my opinion. I want to read this book called "Monsters" which is a non-fiction book about what to do with art written by people that are, well, terrible. I've heard it's very good. But I think about Roahl Dahl for example. He was horribly and vocally anti-Semitic... and yet, I can't imagine not reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Matilda to my kids... I read Stuart Little to my 5yo in the spring and Stuart smokes in the book so we had to stop and talk about smoking and how awful of a habit it is, etc. Not everything is going to age well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in reading Monsters. I'm coming at this as an old movie fan, but if we cancelled every movie that has non PC content and every actor/director/etc who did something naughty...there wouldn't be very many movies left. I think it's far better to say "yes this happened" and let the stuff that doesn't age well be seen for what it is.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm biting my nails for you about your performance review! I simultaneously want to know what happened and sort of want to hide under the blankets at the same time.

    I never read the Little House books or watched the show. I think my first experience with historical fiction was Sarah Plain and Tall and because I didn't enjoy that, I decided that I didn't like all historical fiction. I was pretty adamant about this until well into adulthood. I also think child me confused the televisions shows Gunsmoke and Little House and it was all muddled and I just never got on the LIW train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this as "my first experience with historical fiction was Sarah Palin" and now I can't unsee it!

      I was torn between wanting to just not log into my computer and see how long it took for my paychecks to stop and wanting to hide under the blankets. But the world didn't end.

      Delete
  9. WTG Stepkids! They are both awesome!

    Your repeat lunch sounds DELISH!

    Awesome job on running half a mile! That's a big deal!

    Happy Quitting Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After running half a mile...my normal workouts of 30 seconds-2 minutes of running are really starting to feel good. That running is so sneaky!

      Delete
  10. AUGH. I CANNOT STAND IT. Reading the next entry. Sheesh, Birchie. You know how to write a cliffhanger - how about writing a book as part of your break-from-work?? ;)

    And yes, to everything, on LH. I loved it - still do. Just repurchased a set just like the one I had as a kid because brother's kid #1 loved it and wanted to hang on to my old set. :)

    Also? I have never seen - and will never see - PF. I only know that one line - sort of? That one about "this is a robbery"?? (See, completely ignorant over here...)

    ReplyDelete