Sunday, November 12, 2023

Diary of a First Grader: The Sixth Annual Weekly Eats Roundup

Hey Friends, it's that time again!  Six years ago today I had an impulse to write a weekly recap post of my meals, workouts, TV watching, and reading.  After a year of weekly recaps I wrote an annual recap which I've come to think of as "Birchwood New Year".  Now that these posts are old enough to start first grade, let's take a look back at the best of the best things that we've talked about this year.

Weekly Eats Memory Lane

Here are the Best of the Best Things that We Ate This Year

It's not even a contest.  The best recipe of the year is Rainbow Plant Life's Braised Tofu

The best family meal that we had this year was Jo Cooks Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Pasta

A runner up for best recipe is The Foodie Takes Flight Stir Fried Spicy Udon Garlic Noodles.

The best "that's not really a recipe" recipe that I tried this year is The Cheap Lazy Vegan's Chickpea Salad.  Yes it's very much a recipe, but the way I make it is to just throw chickpeas, mayo, mustard, etc in a blender.

There was a time when there was only one breakfast burrito in this world, but another came along, and this year yet another: let's hear it for The Cheap Lazy Vegan's Eggless Breakfast Burritos

My second favorite breakfast of the year was Vegan Eggs Benedict.  It's a mashup of two recipes: the eggs are from Sarah's Vegan Kitchen, the sauce is from  Minimalist Baker, and a description of everything else is here.


Best Staples of the Year

I've found that life runs a little more smoothly with a few extras on hand.

  • Pickled red onions (as seen in the chickpea sandwich and the egg Benedict).  I don't really follow a recipe, I just chop up a red onion and cover it with a mixture of half white vinegar and half water and a little bit of sugar.  It keeps for several weeks in the fridge and adds such a nice pop of flavor.
  • Sauteed mushrooms.  When you want a handful of mushrooms in whatever you're eating but you don't feel like going out to the store OR you don't feel like going out to the store and buying a package of mushrooms only to use a few and have the rest go bad before you can figure out what to do with them...just slice 'em all up, sautee in either oil or butter with a little salt until they are browned to your desire, relocate them to a baking sheet or something flat on a sheet of parchment paper, freeze 'em, and then scoop 'em up into a freezer container until you're ready to use them.
 

  • Fried tofu from the Asian market.  For those times when you want tofu but don't want to prep tofu.  Check the freezer section of your Asian market.  I've bought several brands and several shapes and sizes, and all of them are good.


Best Meals on the Road

My latest hobby is local tourism, where I go places that are far enough from home that I need to stay overnight but not so far that I can't get back quickly if I need to.   Sometimes I bring food from home for these trips, sometimes I eat out and the meals are forgettable, and then there are these three meals that I'm still thinking about months later...

Strong Hearts in Buffalo, NY

Due to my short stay there I only had a salad and a cupcake.  I have no reason to go back to Buffalo and yet I kind of want to go back to Buffalo just to eat my way through their menu.  My one meal at Strong Hearts is why I seek out vegan restaurants on the road.


Papa Del's Pizza in Champaign, IL

This was the pizza of my childhood, and I was thrilled that it is EXACTLY the same as I remembered it.  I also don't have any reason to go back to Champaign and yet I want to go back to Champaign just for the pizza.

The Westview Tavern in Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada.  You go to a small island in Canada, spend the day biking, and then go to one of the few (it actually might have been the only?) restaurant that was open that day, and you get a burger which you're expecting to be like every other burger on the planet...and it makes your toes curl.  You don't need to have choices when There is Only One.


Best Fitness Stuff of the Year

The Peak Fitness workout - my favorite "I am not a runner anymore" running workout.  It's 20 minutes total with 8 x 30 seconds of sprinting.

Best TV of the Year

Man, I have to say that this was a poor year for TV shows.  All that I want is just to kick back and relax with a show at night, but the pickings are slim.  Same with movies - I rewatched and enjoyed a ton of my all time favorites but when it comes to saying "this was the best of the year" there are only so many years that I can tell you to watch The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca.

But there were two wonderful exceptions to the trend this year for TV shows.  Neither show is new, but they were new to me:

  • The best show that I watched on my own this year was an Israeli TV show called False Flag on Hulu.  Season one was only "very good" and season two was "OMG THIS IS THE BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!!!"  Sigh there's a season three but Hulu is in no hurry to bring it to us...


Hmm...what else could we possibly have to talk about this year...oh yes I know.

Best Books of the Year

This was an amazing year for books and for blogging about books.  This year also saw the founding of an elite group known as The Cool Bloggers Book Club.  One way to know if you're a member is if you participated in Engie's bookclub this summer and the other way to know if you're a member is that you know you're a member.

My list of best books of the year is longer than ever and the criteria for making the best of list was tougher than ever.  These are the books that I'm still thinking about months later.  In order read:

The Accomplice by Lisa Lutz (lots of the Cool Bloggers read this as well)

Station Eleven by Emily Mandel St John

The Social Climber by Amanda Pellegrino==>this was the book that got me out of a reading slump

Bad City: Peril and Power in the City of Angels by Paul Pringle (audio)

Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano==>Kleenex warning that the final 25% of the book made me sob buckets.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Smile and Look Pretty by Amanda Pellegrino

I Could Live Here Forever by Hanna Halperin

The Many Lives of Mama Love: A Memoir of Lying, Stealing, Writing, and Healing by Lara Love Hardin (audio)

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron (audio)

The Violin Conspiracy by  Brendan Slocumb

Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent==>content warning that there's a topic in this book that I personally find very upsetting so I had to skim those sections but oh my gawd this book was so good.

That's a wrap for year six!  What's on your "best of" list?

27 comments:

  1. And now we are six! Happy anniversary Birchy, and omg I am SO happy you're here. I just love your blog and I know that we would be such good friends irl too! Plus your SS#1 is the same age as my younger son, so WE MUST NO LONGER BE APART, PLEASE MOVE HERE BECAUSE I CANNOT MOVE AGAIN I CANNOT. Sigh, I guess if you're not going to become a Canadian I will settle for being your long distance pen pal/ blog friend. Anyway, this is a fabulous recap and I am now super hungry. That food all looks so good. I'm happy my queen Margaret Atwood made your favourite list, too, and my secondary queen Nora Ephron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nicole, I remember how happy I was the day that I found your blog. Team Boy House 4 Life (though thanks to the dog there are two girls in my boy house).

      I may not be Canadian but I like to go places so maybe it will work out someday to meet in person. I saw those fajitas and maragritas that you posted in IG this weekend so we already have a menu planned!

      Delete
  2. LOVED this recap! What a great year!!!! Station Eleven is SUCH a good book. And I really enjoyed The Accomplice -- the characters were so memorable, and their relationship so weird, that I still think about them to this day. A+ character development.

    I am drooling over that burger. Looks amazing. And I think I had bookmarked the stir fried spicy udon noodles before, but I am doing it again because those are RIGHT up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you were my "source" for Station Eleven. I'd heard of it but I think that you writing about it might have been what prompted me to pick it up. So thanks for that!

      Delete
  3. Okay, this made me feel VERY elite: "the other way to know if you're a member is that you know you're a member."

    I was a member. How cool is that?

    And now I'm hungry. This food all looks delish. Can you pop over real quick and cook some of it up for me? That cheesy pasta dish, in particular, is calling my name right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a member! Once you're in, you don't get out. I've been loving your book questions posts - each time I'm just like "whoa! How did she think up all of these GREAT questions?"

      Delete
  4. Best podcasts: The 13th Step, The Retrievals, and 60 Songs that Explain the 90s. Runners up include Blind Plea and Violation.

    Best TV show discovery: Paul O'Grady's For the Love of Dogs about a dude who volunteered at an animal shelter in London. It's on Netflix and we mainlined those episodes for a while there.

    Best books: I'll probably do my own post about my 4.5 and 5 star reads, but right off the top of my head it's ATGIB, Nora Goes Off Script, The Cheat Sheet, Mary Jane, and Thornhedge. There have to be more, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary, Birchie!
    How did I miss that tip with the sautéed mushrooms? That's brilliant!

    Of course, ATGIB is on the top of my list.
    And I was very much intrigued by the recent Netflix series "The Billionaire, The Butler, and the Boyfriend", a true story around Liliane Bettencourt, who used to be the richest woman on earth (owner of L'Oréal, among other things). Absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted for the next time that we get Netflix! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Wow, first grade already! You are getting so big! :)

    I do that exact same thing with mushrooms! I always buy the big pack from Costco, which is only $5, but to eat them all before they get slimy is a commitment so I always saute and freeze them! I do the same thing with other veggies too that I may not eat in time, like broccoli and zucchini and I also almost always make extra of most dinner dishes, and put a couple servings in the freezer for lunch or a lazy dinner day.

    This is a good list of books and you make the CBBC sound like Fight Club! The first rule of the CBBC is that you DO NOT talk about the CBBC...I just put a few of your recommendations on hold, and I also really enjoyed Mama Love, Feel Bad About My Neck, Station Eleven and Violin Conspiracy. I will do a detailed end of year best books post but off the top of my head I really enjoyed The Light We Carry and Good For a Girl (both memoir type books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are mushroom twins! My local grocery stores aren't the best at keeping tabs on mushroom quality, so I'm almost always better off going to Costco. And with my ace mushroom preservation technique I don't have to go very often.

      I hit up your booklist quite a few times and got a lot of great reads from it. Lenni and Margo and These Quiet Woods are books that I've only heard about from you. There are others on your list that I'd heard of but wasn't sure if I wanted to read or not so I used you as a "yes" vote. CBBC's make sure that other CBBC's have good books to read!

      Delete
    2. Yay, I am so glad to hear that some of my recommendations have worked for you. I think it was Elisabeth who was asking if we recommend books to others and I do like to, but it is hard to sometimes as everyone has such different tastes!

      Delete
  7. My daughter read The Station Agent and loved it, and then we watched the series. I have read two other books by the same author that take place in (sort of) the same universe, and liked them both a lot, though one more than the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec! I've heard of The Station Agent but never looked into it.

      Delete
  8. I am reading The Many Lives of Mama Love right now! I just started it. It is so heartbreaking. I have a 3 year old so the scene where they are arrested and have to leave their 3yo behind was really hard to envision.

    Your food all looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She did such a brilliant job of showing what heroin addiction is and how she lost her family in an instant.

      Delete
  9. Happy anniversary!

    Mary Jane was the #1 book of 2022 for me. It was just so lovely! I still think about that book and the characters. I don't know what my top book of 2023 will be yet - maybe I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! On paper it's "just" a book about a 16 year old babysitter, but it was so much more. And yes with 6 more weeks in the year we may not have read our best book of 2023 yet.

      Delete
  10. This is such a clever idea to wrap up each year of your blogging adventures! I'm gonna have to steal your idea for the sauteed mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many of my favorite meals of the year have come from YOUR BLOG. I remember there was a time where you didn't do the Weekly Roundups for a while and I was like "but what am I going to eat for dinner???" I made that braised tofu- I'll have to make it again when my son is home.
    I'm going to have to look back through my reading this year and pick out some favorites- but right now I'm thinking the recent Comoran Strike book (Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling) is at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jenny! You've given me some good food leads as well.

      Delete
  12. Yay for 6! I do not know how many years I have been here but it's at least a few. :)
    Also, I would like to travel with you and try vegan restaurants, please. That Strong Heart restaurant makes me want to go to Buffalo. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you, Strong Hearts really worked its way into my heart.

      I don't have anything on the calendar yet but I think it's more than likely that I'll go on a WI FLW bender at some point in 2024 and if I do I'll get in touch beforehand.

      Delete
  13. Happy anniversary - 6 years. Hooray! I've really enjoyed your blog and you always give me food inspiration (which I love) and I also love to hear about your workout and what you read and watched. Thanks for always giving us a glimpse into your life.

    On my best list this year: the Detox Soup that I mentioned, oh, only a gazillion times.

    ReplyDelete