Monday, November 20, 2023

Weekly Round Up: I Wanted More

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  A theme of this week is that I tried some things on the food and book front that left me...well, see title of post.  But I also found some goodies to make up for it.

Food

Last Sunday I made a chicken stir fry for the fam and this veg stir fry from Sarah's Vegan Kitchen for me.  The veg stir fry was excellent but...I wanted more sauce!  It was barely adequate the first night and the noodles sucked up all the sauce into the leftovers.  I'm noting that for next time.  Stepson #1 asked to try them and liked everything except the spice so I can see making this for the boys (with 2x mild sauce) some time.

Oddly enough this Sunday's dinner was also inspired by Sarah's Vegan Kitchen, though you'd never know it.  In this video she made Salisbury Steak, which I remember as that weird stuff they used to serve in my grade school cafeteria that actually wasn't that bad.  It's actually possible that I haven't had it since grade school?

Anyways, I made a non vegan version c/o Recipe Tin Eats.  What can I say, everyone liked it, and it made me feel fancy without being fancy.  I stole the potatoes from Sarah's video (well my riff on her idea - thin slices with a light coating of butter and a sprinkle of seasoned salt baked at 400 on parchment paper until brown and crispy.  I tossed some frozen broccoli in the air fryer to round out the meal.  The only thing that went wrong is that I didn't pat the "steaks" together firmly enough so they broke apart a little bit.  I also wasn't patient enough to brown them like the photos in the source recipe which would have made a better look.  Notes for next time.

Workouts

After cutting back on cardio last week, I was ready to take it on again this week.  Suddenly the thought of doing 2 minute running intervals on the treadmill is manageable.

My current plan is:

M: weights and 20 minute treadmill walk

T: 20 minute treadmill run

W: weights and 20 minute treadmill walk

H: off

F: weights and cardio of my choice.  I have more time on Friday mornings so this is more likely to be some kind of run and more likely to be outside if weather allows.

S: some kind of longer run but not that long.

Su: off

For this Saturday's run I returned to my running roots.  Way back when I first started running I mapped out a two mile out and back route.  I always ran the first mile, and then I let myself take walking breaks in the second mile as needed/wanted.   That defies every running plan out there since you're supposed to start slow and then speed up and finish strong, but it was what I did back then, and actually I kinda liked it.  I only walked very briefly in the second mile up a bridge.  Again, I'm not 100% sure what my game plan with running is.

Watching

Friday was a really tough day (more details to come - still processing).  The hubs and I had a consolation dinner and settled in front of the TV.  We needed laughs and lots of them.

That is why God made the wonder that is Airplane II.  Is it better than Airplane!?  Of course not, it's just a recycled story with recycled jokes and some one ups on the original.  It's a perfect "I need a laugh movie".

 

Reading

I hit a DNF streak and broke it by going back to an old favorite.  Let's dish:

Happiness Falls was a DNF at 30%.  There is something about this author that just doesn't work for me.  I couldn't get into the characters and found myself not caring one way or the other what happened to the dad.  Right after the DNF I heard the Sarah's Bookshelf Podcast episode where she and Catherine reviewed their fall book picks.  Sarah loved Happiness Falls, but Catherine also said that she DNF'd...at 96%.  Now look, there have been times when a book isn't doing it for me so I'll speed-skim to the end to find out what happened but reading a book and walking away at 96%???????

Next up was a Dick Pic novel.  The Art of Scandal is about a politician's wife who gets a dick pic from her husband at a party...and instantly knows that she was not the intended recipient.  I liked the setup and I liked the bit of the first chapter that I sampled on Libby before checking it out, but by chapter three I found myself needing more than a dick pic.

In the meantime an old favorite popped into my head.  If you've heard of the author Nevil Shute at all, it's probably for his books A Town Like Alice, No Highway, or On the Beach.  He wrote a lot of books from the 30's to the 60's, and while of course some are better than others, I've liked pretty much everything I've read and a handful of his novels are on my all time favorites list.  He was an engineer and his wife was a doctor, and he wrote what he knew.  His writing style is very direct and technical on the surface, but underneath there's a serious emotional pull that you wouldn't expect from an engineer.

The book of his that I picked up from my shelves is The Chequer Board, which is set in post WWII England.  It's about a man who learns that he has less than a year to live as a result of complications from a head injury that he sustained in the war.  His life is empty and his marriage is miserable.  He decides that there's no reason to keep working and starts thinking of things that he can do with his remaining time.  One of those things is finding out what happened to the other patients who were with him in the hospital when he got his injury.  I won't say any more, but what he finds solves the problem of the empty life and miserable marriage (spoiler?).  This is one of those books where the last sentence PACKS A PUNCH.

While I know the last line of the book and know the story, I had forgotten so many of the details which makes it such a pleasure to come back to this book.  One thing that I've been reflecting on lately is that our reading tastes change, and some of the All Time Beloved Favorites of my youth don't cut it any more (lookin' at you Ayn Rand).  But Shute is an author who's stood the test of time for me.  I started reading him in middle school so that's a lot of time for an author to hold up.

What's the furtherest you've ever read in a book before DNF'ing?  I think I've gotten past 50% and every once in a while I'll skim to the end.  Did you love or hate or have you not read Happiness Falls.  When was the last time you read Ayn Rand?


22 comments:

  1. I'm reading Happiness Falls right now! I think I'm liking it, ha ha. I mean I'm interested enough to keep reading, but also I think if I somehow lost the book and never finished it I'd be okay. I RARELY DNF a book, and I can't imagine doing it at 96%??? Is the ending that boring? I guess I'll find out.
    I think Ayn Rand is definitely a high school/college thing. I loved her back then but I'm sure her books wouldn't stand the test of time for me.
    I've never heard of Nevil Shute, but the book you're talking about sounds really good. I'll read it if I can get my hands on it!
    Sorry about your tough Friday... hope everything's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know what you think of it! I can't explain what it is that doesn't work for me with this author.

      Delete
  2. Ha - I love your Salisbury Steak inspired by Sarah's Vegan Kitchen.

    I am a little wary of Happiness Falls. I didn't love the author's first book, but I did get through it. It wasn't a book I enjoyed enough to want to jump on this one, though. Then again, so many people love it, I kind of have FOMO? Then again again, a lot of people live for Jodi Picoult and her books are not for me, so maybe it's that kind of thing? I don't know. To answer your question, I have gotten halfway through a book before DNFing. Only because it was an audiobook though. If I'd had to read it I would have given up earlier. And now I want to know what happens at 96% that inspired a DNF at that point!

    Ayn Rand was a favorite of a high school boyfriend. That was the last time I gave it a try.

    Thank goodness for silly cinema when times are tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True confession: I've never read Jodi Picoult and for some reason I don't want to. There's no reason at all for it! Maybe she's written what would be my all time favorite book if I'd just give her a chance. But ya know, we get cynical as we get older so I feel good about my choice.

      Delete
  3. I finished Happiness Falls today, and I loved almost all of it, but was unsatisfied by the ending, so 96% was the perfect time to bail. I listened to the audiobook, and I really liked the narrator, which always helps.

    I've never read Ayn Rand, never been interested. Blah on her. I read one Jodi Picoult and will never read another. I read My Sister's Keeper, and I hated the ending so much I wanted to burn the book. I actually liked the rest of the book, but man, I felt betrayed.

    There's nothing like a truly silly movie after a hard day. I'm glad Airplane II was there for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this morning on my walk, I decided to listen to the last chapter of Happiness Fall again, and I liked it a lot more this time. That's not me trying to convince anyone about it, just setting my own record straight.

      Delete
    2. My takeaway is that I feel good about never reading Jodi P and will probably never reread Ayn Rand. And that we need to organize some kind of Cool Bloggers Zoom to discuss Happiness Falls.

      Delete
  4. Oh, nice to see you running again, Birchie!
    It makes sense to me that you start with running and THEN take the walking breaks. I guess for now you don't need a plan - just get out there and "air the brain".
    Oh dearie me, that Friday sounds ominous. I'm interested to hear about it once the dust has settled. Life is never straightforward, is it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say more without saying anything - it's a very sad thing that needs to run its course IRL before going to the blog. Everything will be OK, though.

      Delete
  5. I just DNF a book but it was pretty close to the beginning. It was an Elizabeth Berg book, and I sometimes like her, but I was just...not in the mood. I probably got a couple of chapters in. I tend to just push through but after reading a really terrible book last year I have decided that I can just DNF. Theoretically. In practice I don't do it nearly as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the risk of DNF'ing too early is outweighed by the risk of wasting your time on a less than satisfactory book when you could be reading a book that is so good that it makes your toes curl. If I ever get to the point where I never come across the toe-curlers then maybe I'll step back and try to stick with a potential DNF for longer. But since I'm hitting a higher than average number of toe-curlers, I'll keep up with the ruthless DNFing!

      Delete
  6. I am reading Happiness Falls right now and I...do not care for the teenage "voice" the author has chosen. I am about halfway and I am pretty sure I'll finish, but I do understand why Catherine DNFed when she did (although I probably would have read the last five pages just to get some closure) because sometimes you realize that you just don't care and want to read something else! I have finished books after 50% before, particularly non-fiction books that are super long and boring. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it was a DNF, I want to hear EVERYTHING about it. I can't wait for your review.

      Delete
  7. I am glad that movie made you laugh when you needed it! Sending you <3

    OMG 96% then DNF? No way. I have definitely gotten past 50% and DNF'd but never that close to the end, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the <3 I am so intrigued by what she found that was so bad at the end that she ditched it.

      Delete
  8. I was surprised that Catherine DNF'd at 96%! Like what? Just push through the final pages! I gave that book 3 stars. There were parts I appreciated. I was annoyed by the footnotes. I could have done without allll of the HQ stuff and I am a math major so it wasn't because of the mathematics. It just didn't serve the book's plot IMO. I think the furthest I've read and DNF's is maybe 30%? Usually I DNF in the first 20% or even the first 10%.

    I haven't read Ayn Rand since my 20s, I think. I had to know who the heck John Galt was, so I read that book. I oddly also went on a date with a guy who then got me an Ayn Rand book because he said I reminded him of the character in the book (pauses to look up title...) We the Living. I don't know that it was an compliment to be compared to that character? I gave Atlas Shrugged 2 stars. I was just so freaking long and I got tired of all of the talk of railroads and such. So I'd say the whole thing is: TL;DR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok! I can actually speak to whether it was a complement to be compared to the lead character of We the Living because that was my fav Ayn. YES! She's a very intelligent young woman studying engineering. I like the concept of not having to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, but yeah that includes reading 1000 pages books about railroads.

      Normally I'm a big fan of the DNF but I guess 96% is too much...I'm like you that if I make it past 30% I'm probably finishing it, but 20%, 10%, and the first few pages are my more common DNF points.

      Delete
  9. Salisbury Steak! I haven't made that in a while, but it's a tasty dish. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine abandoning a book at 96%. You've put in all that work just to abandon it?! I don't understand. I am pro-abandoning books, but I will usually abandon early on - sometimes after a chapter, although I try to give books 100 pages because sometimes a story just needs time to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to hear the running shoes are back in motion! Did the brief sabbatical make you miss it? Sometimes a break fuels a nice reunion ;-) I hope it's going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for the crappy Friday, glad the movie helped, and hope the running continues to feel good, regardless of whether you have a plan or not. Plan, schman. :)

    ReplyDelete