Friday, November 10, 2023

Let's Go Places: Malabar Farm State Park, Ohio

 

Friends, I'd like to take you to a very special place today.  Can I interest you in a trip to a farm that's a state park in the middle of nowhere?

I guess that doesn't really sell it.  Let me up the ante by telling you that Malabar Farm State Park is a one stop shop for:

  • State park stuff.  Nature and hiking (OK, I'm mildly interested)
  • The farm is historically important for promoting sustainable agriculture (OK, that's somewhat interesting.  If I had another reason to go there I'd be open to learning more)
  • Was the home of a Pulitzer Prize Winning Big Deal 20th Century Novelist who might not be a household name now but was in the same league as Fitzgerald and Hemmingway back in the day (that's more like it!  But in Ohio?)
  • Some of the exterior scenes for a Big Deal 90s movie were filmed here (Hmm, depending on the movie I might be interested)
  • Was a hangout for Everybody Who Was Anybody in Hollywood in the 40s (Now you've really got my attention!  But why were big movie stars coming out to Ohio of all places?)
  • Was the scene of a Big Hollywood Wedding (hey you already sold me!  WHO?????)

To sweeten the deal, I will tell you that Malabar Farm has visitor options for $0, $3, $6 or you can go for broke and spend $9 to do everything.  Let's go there!

Let's start with a map so that we can see where we are - like I said it's kind of the middle of nowhere. 

And now let me fill in the blanks that I teased before:

  • The Shawshank Redemption is the Big Deal 90s movie that filmed on Malabar Farm.  The cabin from the opening scene of the movie is here, and toward the end of the movie one of the characters rides a bus out into the country and takes a walk by a big tree.  The tree was later struck by lightning and had to be taken down, but that was at Malabar.  Other exterior scenes and the prison used in the movie are about half an hour away in the town of Mansfield, Ohio (spoiler, we'll be going there in a future post).
  • All the big movie stars were hanging out in Ohio in the 40s because of the owner of the farm, who we'll get to in a minute.  Travel was limited in WWII, so they couldn't just jet set off to Europe.  Domestic train service was a different story, and it was very easy to get from Hollywood to the farm.
  • The big Hollywood wedding happened in 1945.  Of all the gins joints in all the towns in all the world, Malabar was the place that Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall picked to say "I do".

As best I can remember, I knew from my studies of Hollywood history that Bogie and Bacall got married at a place called Malabar Farm, but it was a long time before I made the connection to the freeway sign that I've passed one billion times in my life while driving to Columbus.  I read some of Bromfield's books in college, but all of these things together didn't scream OMG THERE IS THIS FABULOUS PLACE THAT HAS BEEN PRESERVED IN AMBER EXACTLY LIKE IT WAS THAT'S OPEN MOST OF THE YEAR FOR TOURS!!!!!  It was only last year when I started looking for unique places to go that I connected the dots.

Let do some backstory before we start our tour.  I'm just repeating what I heard and how I understand it, so you may want to do your own research.  Louis Bromfield is the world famous Pulitzer Prize winning novelist, and in the words of the tour guide, it is almost certain that he had ADHD.  He could never stand still and was never happy unless he was doing 10 things at once.  That's how someone goes from being born in a small town in Ohio to studying agriculture during his brief time at college to driving an ambulance in WWI to moving to New York after the war was over and becoming a journalist and that's only Act I.

According to legend Bromfield wrote a review of a Broadway play in the early 20s where his summary was that all of the actors needed to find other lines of work.  Later that night he found himself in a bar with the cast of the play - he knew who they were and they knew who he was.  They worked out their differences and everyone was friends by the end of the night.  One of those actors was an up and coming Humphrey Bogart, so that was the beginning of that beautiful friendship.

Bromfield started writing novels and got himself a Pulitzer and wrote a best seller every year for many years as one does.  Some of his books were adapted into movies which was his entry into Hollywood.  Let's go ahead and address the elephant in the room which is why you haven't heard of this great author.  It's simply that his books were a big deal at the time, but they haven't aged well, so you don't need to jump up and start reading him.  I know that I read him at some point, but there's nothing in my memory that's leaping out.  My favorite work of his is the movie Night After Night, which was Mae West's first movie - though she wrote her dialogue and not him.  So really this clip is just Mae West fangirling and nothing to do with Bromfield.

Anyhoo Bromfield and Mrs. Bromfield and their three daughters were living it up in France and having a fine old time but the further they got into the 1930's the more he was thinking that he didn't like what he was seeing on the news.  The Bromfields packed up in 1938 and headed straight for his hometown in Ohio.  Louis pulled out a wad of cash and bought up a couple of adjoining farms on some very pretty hillside that reminded him of India, so he called it Malabar Farm.


Step One: renovate existing 12 room farm house into a 28 room farm house.

Step 2: do farm stuff.  I'm out of my depth here, but from what I understand Bromfield wasn't just a pretty face.  He was big on crop rotation and whatever it is that you need to do to have good farmland instead of ending up with a Dust Bowl situation.  The fact that he was one person doing this on one farm wasn't the big deal, it was the fact that he was one person doing this on one farm who happened to be a celebrity and talked about his work every chance that he got and wrote a couple of best selling books about it.  It was a "think globally act locally" situation.

The barn is part of the free stuff to do at Malabar.  Yes it's still an active farm.


Goats, sheep, horses, cows, chickens and oh my.



But we're really here to see big Hollywood, so let's check out the house.  That's the big money item at $6 per tour.  The Bromfields lived here from 1938 to their deaths in the mid 50s and all of their furniture and belongings have been preserved.

The front room is where Bogie and Bacall got married.  Plan A was to have the ceremony outside, which would have worked except that when you get married at your friend's place in rural Ohio and that friend's only phone is on a party line, well everyone kind of knows your business.  As it was the celebs stayed inside and the police kept the wedding crashers at bay.


Around the corner the Bromfields had a small sitting room, their bedroom, and Louis's office.  His WFH desk is nicer than my WFH desk.  My pictures somehow don't show this, but the rooms are packed with bookcases and books.  Bromfield didn't just write, he read.

We can learn a lot from celebrities.  Bromfield was offered an endorsement deal for a whiskey company.  He wanted the money but he didn't like the brand...what to do what to do...yes have your dogs and the cat pose for the ad with the farm house with the "Malabar Farm" sign in the background.  OK, I guess I need to do a bit more work to make that relevant to my own life.

 

Bromfield loved his dogs and let them have the run of the house.  At several places during the tour they paused to show the damage - scratches on doors, various stains, and a vase that the dogs knocked over and was repaired.  Between the dogs and all of the pictures of cigarettes in the family photos, my guess is that being in the house today is a much more pleasant experience than it was back in the day.

From there the tour moves upstairs to the guest suites.  There's a guest wall of the folks who stayed at Malabar.  But just a note that you didn't stay at Malabar for free.  Everyone had to work on the farm when they were staying there.  Legend has it that James Cagney's favorite job was to run the vegetable stand and that Shirley Temple was partial to milking cows.

My favorite picture is George Burns and Gracie Allen.  He wrote "Here it is Louis: You're lucky you've got the photograph but I've still got the face.  Sincerely, George" and she wrote "Dear Louis, don't let your wife see this. Love, Gracie xx"

If you ever wanted to see where Bogie and Bacall spent their wedding night, here it is.  Lauren is on record as saying that they pushed the beds together.  By the way, speaking as someone who sleeps in a California king bed, it's mind boggling to tour these grand old houses and see all of the twin beds.


They made up for it with HUGE bathrooms.

Further down the hall upstairs is the kids' suite.  When you're big Hollywood your kids have their own section of the house - their own living room, bedrooms, and apartment for their nanny.

And then back downstairs to the dining room where the wedding reception was held.

Pop quiz: what was Bromfield's favorite color?

That's the house.  The tour takes about an hour and a half, so you get a lot for your $6.  Let's move on to the $3 option and do a farm tour.

The farm is huge, so the tour is helpful for getting the lay of the land and hearing more of the great stories.  They drive you past Pugh cabin, which is the opening shot of Shawshank.

And past the house that was the scene of "the Ohio Lizzie Borden murders".  Ohio folks go for arsenic over axes.

You also get to see the Bromfields' final resting place.

Last but not least let's do the free stuff.  We've already talked about the barn, and once you've done the farm tour you'll know how to get to Pugh cabin, the Ceeley Rose house, and the cemetery.

There are a couple of hiking trails near the cabin that are worth checking out.



And finally, there's Mt Jeez down the road a bit.  If you like epic 360 views, this is your place.

 



So that's Malabar Farm - or at least as much of it as I've seen to date from a few visits.  Big park, big agriculture, and big Hollywood.  I've seen some amazing places, and Malabar is near the top of the list.

In this place of huge things I'll leave you with a small picture that I took on my first visit last summer.

 

Somebody make my day!  Has anyone heard of Malabar Farm or Louis Bromfield?




26 comments:

  1. OMG BIRCHY! I have heard of both of those and I will tell you why: years ago I read Lauren Bacall's autobiography AND THERE ARE MANY WEDDING DETAILS!!! I recommend it as a fun, old-timey Hollywood autobiography. Also, jeez louise, there was a big big age gap there. And Bogie was also married when he first started up with Bacall, which, what. Anyway, lots of juice in that and now I want to go to the state park in the middle of nowhere. This is so exciting! AHHHHHH we had it all, just like Bogie and Bacall, starring in our own late late show, sail away to Key Largo. Here's looking at you kid! Think of all the things we did. We can find it once again, I know, just like they did in Key Largo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, you've read about all of this! I read her book so long ago that I don't really remember it. I'm making a note to get the audio book for a road trip sometime. And yes, "Bogie and Bacall" has a much different ring to it then "that time the 45 year old married guy got the hots for the 19 year old model", but both are true. Whatever the truth of the marriage was they picked a bomb place for the wedding.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour - and that sheep picture. Gah. Too cute. Love all the green vistas.
    I also have a king-sized bed and anything smaller feels claustrophobic to me now. When I visit my parents all they have are doubles! For couples! It is horrible. I love to have my space at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I know that people were smaller back in the day, and a tour guide once explained that separate beds goes back to the times when people married for status rather than for love but still...the tradition lasted a heck of a long time. I had a double bed as a single lady and all I'm saying is that my husband spent maybe 1-2 nights at my house tops when we were dating and I don't blame him! Even a queen bed feels like a squeeze and neither he nor I is what you would call a big person.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I never would have guessed there would be such a mecca for Hollywood types in Ohio! What a cool little spot to check out - or not so little actually! It all looks so lush and green! Things didn't get lush and green here until September when we got a summer's worth of rain in like 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place in its own right. To get there you have to drive a long time on the World's Most Boring Highway so it's amazing that this is just a few miles away.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of any of it and it looks so beautiful. I mean, it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, but it's also right between Cleveland and Columbus and that's not a bad spot to be, right? I feel like nine dollars is a real bargain for all that! How long would you say it would take to do the whole thing at a leisurely pace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question - the house tour is an hour and a half and I think the farm tour was about an hour. Their schedule has breaks between the farm and house tours so that you can do both in one visit but not have to rush. So like 3 hours for both tours???? The first time I was there I just did the house tour, and then last summer I came back and did both the house and farm tour, and then made a third visit to go to Mt Jeez and hike which ended up taking several hours. So it would either be one really long day or two partial days. There's so much to see and to digest that I think you'd have to break it into more than one visit.

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed with this Bromfield guy.
    For one, I love being around ADHD people because they're so full of energy and ideas. And it seems that LB had lots of it.
    From putting your dogs on a (ridiculous) whiskey ad to making your guests work on the farm... I absolutely love this guy.
    Also, thanks for this great summary. I especially like your teasing intro... it really creates (and fulfils) great reading expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - the world was his oyster and the farm is his legacy.

      There have been a few books written about LB and the farm in the past few years, and the staff says that visits have really ramped up because of it. But still, the website talks more about camping in the park than it does about the house tours or that it's a PRESERVED IN AMBER SLICE OF OLD HOLLYWOOD ON AN OHIO FARM. When I first went out there, as far as I knew I really was going to see a farm in a state park in the middle of nowhere...

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous property! And I love all the details you photographed -- that dog and whiskey ad is something else! And the chewed up door. Wow. That is some dedication to one's dogs.

    This was fascinating to read and I had never heard of Bromfield before, but he sounds kind of amazing. Love that he changed his name from Brumfield to appear more distinguished?!?! (According to wikipedia.) I have never seen Shawshank (I know) but can appreciate the movie tie-in.

    But Birchie, there is NO FOOD in this post! What did you eat?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story that they told on the tour about his name was that it was misspelled on his first book so he simply changed it to match. Supposedly his mom later changed the spelling of her last name but his dad didn't. Who knows.

      I know this will be terribly disappointing but my day trip meals are almost always protein bars plus snacks;-)

      Delete
  7. Um, they have horses here, BUT THERE ARE NO PICTURES OF HORSES? WHO ARE YOU EVEN? Sigh. Everything else about this post, EVERYTHING, I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an easy solution! I will be going back. The horse pasture is further away from the barn. I didn't really hang out with the chickens either.

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of any of this- well, other than Bogey and Bacall, obviously. But it sounds AMAZING. So funny that this is literally in the middle of nowhere. Honestly, I can't envision a scenario where I go to Ohio. But if I were in the vicinity I would love to go here.
    Oh wait, I just read Suzanne's comment. I HAVE seen Shawshank Redemption, so apparently I've seen some parts of this farm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the odds are slim that anyone reading this will find themselves in the middle of Ohio with time on their hands and $6 in their pocket...yet once I started writing about these places I'm finding that I can't stop.

      I didn't see Shawshank until a few years ago and all of a sudden I've been everywhere that it was filmed. The day that I went to the prison I came home and started watching the movie again.

      Delete
  9. Oh, yay! Another trip! This is awesome. I drive through OH when I head out East periodically... I wish I went through the middle of the state (odd to say, when I'm usually just waiting to get to the other side) so I could stop here. The house reminds me so much of my parents' house (1937) and my brother's (1928). Colors, the size of the bathrooms (seriously, we could hold a party in my brother's main bathroom!). What a fun and absorbing place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're passing through on I80/90 I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's like GET ME OUT OF THIS STATE ALREADY!!!! But yes it's a super cool place.

      Delete
  10. Sorry, I have never heard of any of that! I did not even know Bogie and Bacall were from Ohio! I have to admit that I am not a huge movie person; of course I know who these people are (and have seen Shawshank, great movie) but would probably have never thought about going to where they were married. How random! That is very cool though and I thought old time bathrooms were tiny, but you have shown me otherwise. I love these little peeks into random corners of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - Bogie and Bacall were NOT from Ohio. Bromfield and Bogie were good friends, and when Bogie was looking for an out of the limelight place to get married, Bromfield offered him the farm. By law one person had to be a resident of Ohio to get married there, so the local judge granted Lauren honorary residency for a few days.

      I've seen other old houses with HUGE bathrooms, and I'm not sure why it was a thing but it was.

      Delete
  11. I have not heard of any of this, but WOW. Apparently I've been under a gigantic rock. This looks like such a fabulous trip, with so much to see and do. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not under a rock, "the middle of nowhere Ohio" is under a rock;-)

      Delete
  12. Honestly I was sold at nature and hiking! The rest is just icing on the cake. I hadn't heard of it before now so thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It's a really cool place that doesn't get talked about enough.

      Delete