Monday, November 6, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Dark Clock

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition I'm going to tell you about a new lunch obsession, some workout chatter, a 1970s cult TV series that I just learned about, and some book stuff.

The title of this week's post is c/o my boss.  English is not her first language, though she certainly speaks it better than I do.  This year most of the rest of the world changed time a week before the US, and her summary to me on Slack last Monday was: "I hate the dark clock".  Girlfriend, I know exactly how you feel.  I'm here for the extra hour of sleep and the earlier light in the mornings, but grr to the darkness.

I would also like to document that the first Christmas decorations in our neighborhood this year went up on Friday, November 3rd.  In our house we don't put up any Christmas stuff until after my husband's birthday which is sometime in late November/early December but we do enjoy seeing stuff go up on our nightly dog walks - the early decorations help to break up the darkness.

In the meantime I am using my extra hour of sleep to sit down and write a blog post on Sunday instead of waiting until Monday night, which is my target posting time.  I think my schedule has settled down a bit, so with any luck I'll be able to keep this up.  I've got grand plans to do some extra posts this winter with previously untold tales of my travels, so let's see what happens here.  Blogging is somewhat like exercising in that it feels better if you do it regularly.

Eats

My current lunch obsession is (surprise) c/o The Cheap Lazy Vegan and it's a Buddha bowl.  I kept making it until I ran out of the dressing.  If I manage to make more dressing today then this will be my lunch on most days next week, and if I don't...I'll move on to another lunch obsession.  My changes to the posted recipe are:

  • I went back and forth between making it with soba noodles and rice noodles, both are good.
  • Yes my bowl includes edamame, but you can't see it because it's mixed in with the noodles.  I thaw the frozen beans in the noodle cooking water.
  • My dressing is made with peanut butter instead of almond butter b/c that's what I have and also what she used in the Youtube video.
  • I skipped adding nuts b/c...I forgot.
  • I skipped adding cabbage b/c...there are a ton of other veggies in there.
  • Tofu c/o the airfryer so that it could cook hands off while I was chopping veggies.

Anyways, this requires a bit of hands on time to make the dressing and prep veggies, but once that's done it just takes a second to cook up the noodles on each successive day.  You can eat this with hot or cold noodles, and because of the weather I went with hot.

In other dinner news, the hubs and I went out to The World's Best Italian Restaurant this weekend, and he had the bright idea to bring home one of their pre-made lasagnas for family dinners.  I can't make anything that's as good as this.  I'm not sure of the exact cost of making our own lasagna that's twice as big vs this one that gave us two nights of dinners for $20...but I'm thinking it's well worth the extra money.

Workouts

I made some noise last week about increasing my running time and but it turns out that my mouth was writing a check that my body didn't want to cash.  For my four indoor weekday workouts, I could only bring myself to add in the run portion of my run/walk cardio hits once.  On Saturday I did an outdoor run walk that was a ladder of 0.25/0.5/0.75/0.5/0.25 mile run with a quarter mile walk in between each running set but ugh everything except the quarter mile runs just felt wrong.  Strangely enough on Sunday I had a bit of extra energy so I did a 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minute ladder with 2 minutes of walking between each run set.  It was a bit easier but still...it's all hard.  I dunno what to make of this or what my goal is at this point.  Stay tuned.

Watching

A cult 70s TV show that until recently I didn't know existed or that I needed, which consists of two made-for-TV movies and one season.  It was the inspiration for The X Files and stars the actor who played the dad in A Christmas Story(!).  When you're an intrepid reporter and it's obvious to you that there's a vampire loose in Las Vegas but everyone is going all Scully on you and not wanting to print your story...

On Halloween the hubs and I watched the first movie, The Night Stalker and over the weekend we saw the second movie, The Night Strangler.  The next time that we get couple's time in front of the TV, we'll start the regular TV show, which is Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

Reading

Last week I told you that I was 50% of the way through a book called Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent and had mixed feelings about it.

This week I'm here to tell you that OMG STRANGE SALLY DIAMOND IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS THAT I'VE READ THIS YEAR AND I'VE READ A LOT OF GOOD BOOKS THIS YEAR...but also that I would not recommend it for everyone.  Here's how it all shook out:

  • I had a quibble that the lead character was nearly identical to Eleanor Oliphant and part of the plot was similar to another book that I can't tell you about because it's a spoiler.  I said that I would have liked to see this author run with an original idea...well, that's exactly what the last half of the book was!  She started in known territory and took it to an entirely new place that was stunning.  Bravo!
  • The writing and the readability of this book is off the charts good.
  • And I also stand by what I said last week that the mystery part of the book was about a subject that I personally don't like to dwell on (see Mrs. Modern Darcy's You Don't Want to go There).  I skipped/skimmed these parts of the book.  I avoided Going There as much as possible, and as far as I know what I skipped was summarized elsewhere in the book in a more palatable form.

So if this makes sense, I would not recommend this book to my mother but I might recommend it to you if you like well written, highly readable books and have the stomach for some unpleasant subject matter.

No sooner had I finished Sally Diamond than the book that I really wanted to read in the first place came in.  I'm about halfway through Symphony of Secrets by Brendan Slocumb.  It took a bit longer to rev up than his previous book, The Violin Conspiracy, but he got there and I'm on board and riding the train.  So far I like Violin much more than Symphony, but that's nothing against Symphony.  It just means that Violin really wowed me.  

Symphony is about two musicians who are working on transcribing a recently discovered lost score by a famous composer of the early 20th century.  The further they get into their research the more evidence they uncover that someone else may have written it.

That's all I've got for now!  Happy Dark Clock everyone;-)

27 comments:

  1. I'd like to agree with you that blogging is somewhat like exercise and it's easier if you do it regularly (hence NaBloPoMo - haha. Well, regularly does not mean daily. I get that.)

    I am not a fan of the short days (mostly because they make me feel "less productive" because I don't want to do anything when it's dark)... but at least it's nice to get out the string lights and candles around this time. I haven't seen any Christmas decoration yet, but will keep my eyes open.

    I swear my body and mind are not always on the same page with running either (if that makes you feel better). It's such a weird dichotomy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of thought about NaBloPo the way that I thought about the Runner's World Winter Run Streak - just do it everyday for a while!

      Delete
  2. "Dark Clock" sounds great to me!
    I like the time change because Europe moves forward but South Africa doesn't (the chaos would be difficult to handle, ha!). So for 5 months, we're always an hour ahead which is very cool.
    Stick to those run-walk ladders for a while! No need to rush things. Just wait and let the magic happen. Like with the pushups (ahem, I did a few today), it will kick in when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of being an hour ahead for a while. I'm sure you've experienced this before, but for work it's really nice to have an extra hour of overlap with my team when there's a week's gap between when each side switches time.

      Delete
  3. I just put Strange Sally on hold and am looking forward to its weirdness. Also it has been a while since I read Elinor so I don't know if it will really click as much for me that they are very similar at first (or matter). Thanks for the recommendation! I really enjoyed the last book you gave a shout out to (Mama Love), so am excited for another!

    Don't worry about the running; I am with Catrina. It will come. However, I do think its important to increase the time a little as you go, because I think we do like cut offs and if you keep a minute you will stop at a minute, but if you increase it, you will stop at the end of that session so you can almost "fool" yourself a little. Also, FYI I did some pushups yesterday! I had been doing them regularly during 2020 and 2021 and had gotten up to about 80 per day but I fell off the wagon and did not get back on. However, your note about them put a fire under me, so I am starting back at 10 for now and will see how it goes (extras don't cost anything!) Also I did a Carolyn Girvan workout last week and it kicked my butt HARD. I am pretty sure that was due to your recommendation as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to circle back when you read it. I've gotten some good book leads from you so I"m glad that what goes around came back around.

      The thing with running is that I don't necessarily want to increase it. I used to run half marathons but got burned out and then "broke up" with running. I don't want to go back to the place where I was training for hours on end - I want to get out of the gym in less than an hour and I want to stay with strength training so...I'm trying to figure out how to fit all of those puzzle pieces together. It also irks me that I feel like skipping my run last weekend to hang out with family set me back. I need the flexibility to skip workouts when I've got a better way to spend my time.

      Delete
    2. I totally get what you are saying about running! I used to focus on it a lot more but now am doing it less and less. However, my issue is that I feel like getting out takes a long time, so I make excuses not to, but in actuality, a half an hour can work wonders for my mood!

      Delete
  4. Dark Clock. Sigh. I hate the time change. Thankfully, my kids are now old enough to manage this by themselves so I really shouldn't complain. The time change used to mess up my life SO MUCH MORE. Time changes with a toddler in the house can be horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say - the older these kids get the easier life becomes! The change isn't really THAT BAD for me, but when you add a little bit of disorientation and add having to take care of a tiny person into the mix it gets hard.

      Delete
  5. I immediately clicked over and put Strange Sally Diamond on hold. I will report back!
    The dark week! Hello darkness my old friend. Wow, I did not realize how early it gets dark here, it is like completely dark at 4:30. What will it be like in a month, I don't know, but I guess it was nice to walk Rex in more light in the morning. I think time change is a completely ridiculous construct, but I have been saying that for twenty years and here we are. I wave my white flag of surrender and turn on my light-up Christmas gnome.
    Buddha bowls are a staple in this house, they are endlessly variable, which I really like.
    Did I tell you I quit running last year? It was after we got Rex and I realized how much exercise he needed, and I was getting so much cardio from my Peloton, and it was winter and I'd have had to go to the gym and run on the treadmill...so I just stopped. I figured I could get back into it if I missed it but it turns out I don't. Getting 15000 steps a day with Rex, plus getting sweaty on my bike that goes nowhere seems to be just fine for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog is older so she's slowed down and shortened her walks a bit. But when she was younger she definitely gave us a run for our money! Walking her was a workout in itself! Since Rex is bigger I can only imagine how much more energy he brings to the walk.

      Yeah, it's a head scratcher trying to figure out the cardio. I need some but I don't want a ton...

      Delete
  6. I just checked to see if Strange Sally Diamond is at my library and it is! Just not at my branch, which means I have to put a hold on it, which means I have to actually go to the library to straighten out this situation with my non-working card number and PIN. But I'll do it today- I want to read that book.
    I haven't spotted any Christmas decorations yet in our neighborhood, but one of our neighbors boldly and defiantly has put up Thanksgiving decorations. Good for her! We can't forget about that holiday.
    The Buddha bowl sounds AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo to the library making you go there in person! It's 2023 people, we ain't got time for that.

      My husband would love to have some outdoor Thanksgiving decorations but we can't figure out who sells them or what the "Thanksgiving decorations selling season" would be since the stores start with Christmas stuff in August.

      Delete
  7. Dark Clock is sad. Poor Hannah is only walked in the dark now. It's dark for the morning walk, dark when I get home, dark during the before bed walk. She's only going to see the sun on weekends for the next six months.

    I put SSD on hold, too, just like everyone else. The wait is long, though, so who knows when I'll actually get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tedious walking the dog in the dark. Thank goodness for people who put their Christmas decorations up early! And yes we still have our lunch walks so we're not 100% in the dark.

      Delete
  8. Dark Clock. How appropriate. I really loathe the time change. I liked it better pre-kids. Post-kids it's such an annoying and unnecessary manipulation of time. And yet most of the world still falls back/springs ahead. WHY.

    I think I will read Strange Sally Diamond. It's pretty impressive how much your opinion changed from week to week! So now I am intrigued! I also preferred Violin to Symphony but both were excellent books. I've heard quibbles about his writing quality. I'm not looking to write a thesis on the books I've read so it never bothered me or was something I noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a moment when I was writing last week's post where I was like why am I talking so much about this book halfway through when things could go either way. But yes, part of the fun of blogging in real time is to have the halfway points to reference.

      My take on the writing in Violin was if there was anything wrong with it I didn't notice because i WAS GRIPPING MY KINDLE IN SUSPENSE THE WHOLE TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE VIOLIN WAS. Symphony isn't that intense for me but it's an enjoyable read so I'd say that whatever the criticism is I wish that more writers had it.

      Delete
  9. "I hate the dark clock" <--- YES. I love this. The dark clock. How apt!

    I am so excited to read Sally Diamond!!!! I wish my current audiobook would wind up a little quicker, but I still have 8 hours to go. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Sally will be there after the 8 hours. I don't know how long the audio book is but the time will fly by!

      Delete
  10. OK, since everyone else is doing it, I have put Sally Diamond on hold at the library. Ready in 5 weeks, which appears to be when all of my other audiobooks will be available. Oh well. :) I am also waiting for The Violin Conspiracy. I'm a good follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all of my holds came in at the same time! I might need to put my Kindle on airplane mode to extend my checkout time.

      Violin is about a much nicer topic than SSD but both books had me gripping the Kindle and turning the pages to find out what happened. I hope you enjoy both of them!

      Delete
  11. Dark clock. I think we will all be adopting this terminology. Please thank your boss for us. :)
    I think... I am going to skip that book. The vague warning makes me wary that it will have content that is just not something I want to read before bed...my current favorite fiction reading time. Thanks for putting that in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Whatever this thing is, I appreciated getting a vague heads up instead of being blindsided by it. While yes I ended up loving SSD and I'm glad that I read it, there are also a thousand other books out there that I will love just as much without "uh oh" stuff in them.

      Delete
  12. LOL, love "dark clock." And would love it if we just permanently stayed on DST.

    Christmas decorations on Nov 3! LOL. Woo hoo! Let's get this party started.

    That bowl and the lasagna look so tasty! I made lasagna this weekend for a reel for FakeMeats.com and am enjoying all the leftovers.

    Running ladders are so hard! Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftover lasagna is the best! It was true even for the take and bake one that we got.

      Delete
  13. Dark clock - YES. I do not love the fall time change because I hate how dark it gets so early!

    I don't know which one I preferred between Violin and Symphony. Violin was so gripping but Symphony had such an interesting storyline and made me SO ANGRY at times.

    I'm on the fence about Strange Sally Diamond. I might as well at least put it on my TBR for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've finished Symphony, I can say that Violin was a way better book for me - but that's not saying anything against Symphony. They were both good.

      Delete