Thursday, December 21, 2023

Let's Go Places: The Rust Belt Travel Guide!!!

 

Friends, I got you something for Christmas.  It's a dedicated page on the blog that is a one stop shop listing of all of the cool places that I've found on my home turf.  Announcing: The Rust Belt Travel Guide.  I'll keep it updated in real time as I continue to go places.

When I first started getting out of the house to see what was in my backyard, I was amazed at what I was finding, but I didn't think that it was very good blog material.  The odds that anyone reading is jumping out of their chair and saying "DANG!  She went to an abandoned rail tunnel in central Ohio???  Well look out cuz Ima drop everything and go to the abandoned rail tunnel in central Ohio!!!" seemed pretty slim.  I felt that it was good enough to write about the concept of getting out and seeing what you have locally.

Over time I've changed my tune.  I still hope very much that you will venture out and see the treasures that you have in your neck of the woods, but also this stuff is just too good not to share.

I'll continue to write up my past travels and add new ones, and since we're already here, let me give you a "quickie" and tell you about the time that I went to an abandoned rail tunnel.

In the fall of 2022 I talked my family into doing a girls' weekend at Hocking Hills State Park.  Due to our schedules we all traveled separately, so I came up with a list of things to check out on the way there.  The internets told me about Moonville Tunnel, which is an old railway tunnel in the town of Moonville, which became a ghost town in the 1940s.  As soon as I found out about it, I involuntary nodded my head and said (to myself) "I am so going there".

I fired up the GPS and was zipping along the back roads of Ohio.  I turned on to a single lane gravel road that went on for a good bit and finally I arrived at the tunnel.  The long, dark, supposedly haunted tunnel.

Now I will say that it was very cold in the tunnel, but there was nothing else that was giving off "haunted" vibes.  The inside is covered with very bright and cheerful graffiti.




Finally I arrived on the other side of the tunnel.


The trail leads to another abandoned rail tunnel, the Kings Station Tunnel.  Supposedly you can drive to it, but when I put it in to my GPS it took me on another gravel road in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't find the tunnel.

On the hiking path the tunnels are about 3 miles apart, so a bit longer than I had time for that day.  I also wasn't too keen on venturing out further by myself.  There were a few other people around but not very many people, it was far off the road, and there was no cell signal.  My spidey senses told me that I was in the zone of "there is such a thing as being too alone".  I went back to my car and headed to our cabin in the woods with a hot tub and commenced Girls' Weekend.

But it was a really cool place and I'm hoping to explore it further one day with company.


25 comments:

  1. Wow! This is an epic undertaking, Birchie. It looks great and is so nice to be able to so easily access your adventures - new and past <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a lot but it was a pleasure to relive. Kind of like your lighthouse posts.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Look at you! Thanks for my Christmas present! (I think the Meijer Gardens are amazing. *ahem*) I am obsessed with the dog graffiti. I might make it my computer wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever come across graffiti of a brown dog with Hannah written on it I'll know who did it!

      Delete
  3. This looks really beautiful, but... I am glad you listened to your spidey sense. I feel like every murder mystery I every read would leap to mind in that location! And yay for creating a guide to all your adventures!!!! So fun and useful! You have been to so many cool places. And I love your rating system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesshh. I didn't mind being alone when I was on Pelee Island this summer because it's an island. You really can't get lost because there's only so far that you can go without seeing the lake. Anyone who was there had gotten on a boat or a plane so they'd been to a bit of trouble to do so. Cell service was spotty but not nonexistent. But Moonville is literally in the middle of nowhere and it is possible to get lost. I'm sure the people there were perfectly nice but it would only take one person who wasn't to make a bad situation. Either of those two possibilities plus no cell signal...would make for a great setting for a murder mystery.

      Delete
  4. That's so cool, I love stuff like this and I love that you have a one-stop-shop now! I mean, who knows if I'll ever be in the midwest anytime soon, but I might be? And in any case, I really enjoy your travel adventures and your joie de vie, the way you bloom where you are planted! Merry Christmas! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nicole all I know is that if you ever get anywhere close to the midwest we will have one hell of a party. Merry Xmas!

      Delete
  5. Such gorgeous photos, such a cool place, such bright graffiti! You're the go-to guide for the rust belt, and it's great that you're making a dedicated page about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I forgot to mention it by photography has been the other highlight of these trips. My good camera had been sitting around for YEARS gathering dust.

      Delete
  6. It does look very cool, but I'm glad you listened to your instincts there. Maybe go back with a friend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you can gather up some friends one day for a return visit. I love the way you've gathered up all your localish travels into one dedicated page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes as soon as I get a gang together we'll go back.

      Delete
  8. Super cool! I'd be game for that kind of outing - in daylight. At night? Not so much. I was just reading a book with a ghost town/abandoned town in it (No Two Persons) so it's funny to read about you visiting a ghost town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would like very much to read a book about a ghost town so I am making a mental note of No Two Persons! What luck!

      Delete
  9. I am going to drop everything and go to an abandoned tunnel in the rust belt RIGHT NOW!! I love this and I also am a huge fan of having a dedicated travel page. For me it is great because when I come to visit you on the train, to to take the train somewhere together :) , I will have a place to look to find out what I want to do in your area. Bookmarking it now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic job, Birchie! Thanks for the dedicated page.
    If I ever run the Chicago marathon, I know where to get some travel tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the Columbus marathon if you want a super flat course! People love that marathon. If I ever get back to running I want to do a race in CBUS.

      Delete
  11. I love that you blog about all these adventures! I am a huge fan of finding those hidden gems too. I hope you get to go back sometime soon with company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'll get the fam down there with me sometime.

      Delete
  12. It's so funny how you originally thought no one would be interested in stuff like this, and now everyone wants to rush off to the abandoned tunnel. Including me! I'm a huge fan of exploring out-of-the-ordinary things close to home, and you definitely inspired me when I took my little trip to Ocala this summer.
    I'm looking forward to more of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You knew I would love this! I have wanted to go to Hocking Hills SP for YEARS! I forgot you had gone there! Thanks for sharing ALL your adventures this year. Can't wait til they include FLW in WI! :)

    ReplyDelete