Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Christmas Recap 2023


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition I'll tell you about our Christmas eats, a new-to-me workout that I've started doing, the Christmas classic that I finally watched, and some book stuff.

Eats

Christmas was up in the air for a bit.  There was a COVID case in the extended family, so up until the day before we debated whether we were having the big family gathering or not.  Fortunately COVID took a hike so we partied it up.  We got a couple of lasagnas from the really nice Italian restaurant, garlic bread, and salad.

I was on dessert duty, and that involved some decisions as well.  One of my Facebook friends posted about an epic Black Forest cake that she'd gotten from Costco and that was my #1 pick for Christmas.  That left the question about whether I was going to bake anything at all since we had a smaller crowd.  The decision was made for me since Costco didn't have the cake after all but the next time I see it in the store I'm taking it home with me.  

Two days before Christmas I started baking:

  • Oreo balls.  Our standard recipe is one box of oreos plus one box of cream cheese processed in the food processor, set aside in the fridge for a bit to solidify, then roll into balls and tuck into the freezer for a bit, dip in chocolate and enjoy.
  • Shortbread cookies via Home Goods - seriously I can't make anything better than Walker's and when I saw their sampler box I snapped it up. 
  • Cranberry Crumble Bars via Life of a Doctor's Wife via Sally's Baking Addiction.  This was a gamble since I knew that I would like them but possibly no one else in the family would.  This ended up not being a problem since they won the endorsement of the harder-to-please of the two stepsons.
  • Kiss Cookies via Sally's Baking Addiction.  If I had to pick a least favorite, this would be it.  There was nothing "wrong" with them but also nothing spectacular.
  • M&M cookie bars via Averie Cooks, a double batch which is pretty standard for every recipe on her site.

It's also worth mentioning that for the first time ever, we decided that we have a "go to" Christmas family brunch menu for the four of us.  We love the French toast casserole and the quiches that we always have for Easter, and we realized that we need to have them more often than once a year.

I'd never made French toast casserole before and it was shockingly easy.  The only reason that I'm not sharing the recipe is that the one that I used called for putting a mixture of brown sugar and butter on the bottom...where it congealed and very nearly scorched.  I'm sure that the fault was somehow mine, but I'll use another recipe next time.

You're supposed to use stale bread for French toast, and I had my bases covered.  I used the leftover rolls from Thanksgiving that we'd had in the freezer ever since.

I usually double the quiche recipe that we use for Easter and I got caught off guard by my notes in past Easter recaps.  I'd said that I used 6 slices of bacon in place of the broccoli and 1 and 1/2 cups milk in place of condensed milk, but I wasn't clear if that was for the single or the double version.  I made the lucky guess that I'd meant for the single version;-)

Workouts

On the strength front I finished the full body workouts in the Caroline Girvan Epic Endgame series.  She has a new series on the CGX app starting in January which I might try, and in the meantime I'm doing some of the shorter workouts from her app's Advent program.

For my pushups this week, I randomly remembered the 10-to-6 workout from one million years ago that I loved so much and stole that format.  You start with a set of 10, then a set of 9, then 8, then 7, and a final set of 6 pushups.  Doing one less rep each time is quite a motivator.

For cardio,  Elisabeth just started doing the 12-3-30 workout which is or was all the rage with the cool kids a while ago: 12% incline, 3 MPH, and 30 minutes.  I'd heard of it of course, but never got further than trying to imagine what that much incline with that slow a pace must feel like.  Well, after Elisabeth's reminder I decided to find out.  Elisabeth does it at 10% because that's as high as her treadmill goes, and in the same spirit I only did it for 20 minutes the first few times to get my bearings.  Well, it turns out that the cool kids know what they're talking about.  The slow speed really lets you ease in to the 12% and it's quite achievable and before long I was willing to do the full 30 minutes which is longer than I've been on the treadmill in quite a while.  I think I'll make this my winter cardio go-to for the next few weeks and see what happens.  The only negative thing that I can say is that I feel like my body is adapting to it very quickly so the worst case there is that I'll need to speed it up to keep the intensity.

Watching

It's been forever since I've watched a regular TV show.  I scoured the internet to find something and came up with an Australian show on Amazon Prime.  Class of 07 is about a 10 year high school reunion at an all female boarding school that goes terribly wrong.  An apocalyptic tidal wave strikes, which turns the school campus into an island and it's not clear what the status of the rest of the world is. 

 

Now look it's not The Greatest Show Ever Made, but it's very watchable and conveniently has 30 minute episodes that pair very nicely with my new 30 minute treadmill workout, so we've got a match.  Between you and me I have never been and will never go to a school reunion, and a trope that really bugs me in fiction is the "Something Happened in school that continues to weigh down the rest of our lives into our 30's and we just can't move on from it".  I've DNF'd book after book where the fact that school sucked is the most interesting thing that's happened to the characters but now that someone finally put it into a one season TV show with some Lord of the Flies mixed in I am all about it.

On a more seasonal note, Hubs and I finally watched Elf, which neither of us had seen before.  It was...fine.  Not good, not bad, and an enjoyable enough way to spend an evening.

On Christmas Eve day the Hubs and I also got in a showing of It's a Wonderful Life, which he'd never seen before.  If we can we might squeeze in a showing of Christmas Vacation before we call it for the season.

Reading

Three things to tell you:

  • I finished The Rainbow and the Rose by Nevil Shute, which is a reread of one of my favorite authors.  It had been so long that I'd forgotten just about everything so it was practically a new book.  I'd rate this as "Nevil Shute: Advanced Level".  The author was an engineer IRL and this book definitely has a more technical edge to it.  I'd steer you in the direction of A Town Like Alice of No Highway for your first Shute instead of this, but I did enjoy it.
  • Currently: continuing the alphabet!  B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton.
  • My podcast playlist was getting lean so I started an audiobook.  The Longest Race: Inside the Secret World of Abuse, Doping, and Deception on Nike's Elite Running Team by Kara Goucher is definitely not an easy listen, but it's a powerful book. 

Future Dog Update

It has now been a month since Stepdog passed away, and Hubs and I have come to the conclusion that not having a dog sucks.  We know that we're not ready yet, but we're thinking that Future Dog will come into our lives sooner rather than later.  Stepdog was a great advocate for dog ownership and we've realized that we're in exactly the same boat as all of our family and friends who got dogs as a result of Stepdog.  Just like them we can't have Stepdog but we still want a dog!!!  We're flexible but in theory Future Dog is some kind of a Shepherd mix, youngish but not a puppy, and most likely female.

We talked it over with the kids, and Stepson #1 had a great idea.  Since Stepdog's birthday was on Easter, he suggested that would probably be the right time to get another dog.  Decently in the future but not unbearably far into the future.

BTW, I feel like I've borrowed the term "Future Dog" from somewhere but I can't find the source.  Has anyone else heard this term?

Advent Puzzle Update


 10/10 highly recommend.

28 comments:

  1. Oh yay! So glad you tried the cranberry bars and so glad they were a hit with Stepson. I still have ONE BAR left in the fridge which I have earmarked for breakfast tomorrow.

    You and Elisabeth are making me want to get back into the 12-3-30 trend.

    After you read A Is fo Alibi, I reread it and loved it. (Even though it was way predictable; I guess I don't go to these books for mind blowing plot twists.) Now I am kind of in the mood to blast through the rest of the alphabet, too! But I am also rereading Sophie Hannah's Zailer/Waterhouse series and my husband keeps bothering me to read some of the books in our collection that I've never read before. SIGH.

    By the way: Have you read My Murder yet? I read it today (it was a gift from my husband) and I LOVED IT. Such a great book and beautifully written.

    Love your plans for Future Dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't read My Murder but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I think I chowed down the first half of Burglar in the first sitting. Those books are so readable.

      Cranberry bars make an excellent breakfast. Ask me how I know;-)

      Delete
  2. Now I wish I had a treadmill just to try out that 12-3-30 thing! It sounds very effective!
    Also, counting down your pushups seems so much nicer that going up! This reminds me of Crossfit, very often the sets get smaller too. Typically 15-12-9 or something like that. Very motivating!
    Love the puzzle end result. It even includes a sleepy doggo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind the treadmill, you've got the alps to get your 12%!

      Hubs and I were counting down the days until we got to do the dog.

      Delete
  3. LOVE the puzzle and think I need to get this for myself next Christmas (*makes mental note*)

    I'm so glad you've been enjoying the 12-3-30. It is so doable, but I really do feel like I get a great workout in the process. I sweat way more than I do when I run for some reason? Must be the incline. I wish mine went up to 12 - though I should read the manual. Apparently many treadmills only go up to 10 but actually that represents a higher incline than 10%? Anyhoo. 10-3-30 is working for me right now.

    Love the idea of Future Dog. That sounds so right - not rushing into it, but having something tangible to look toward in the not-so-distant-future.

    I am NOT a cranberry fan, but Suzanne has never steered me wrong and now that your family is raving about them. Maybe...just maybe...I need to try making these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treadmill distance and incline are always up for debate. I doubt that the extra 2% is doing much.

      Delete
  4. 12-3-30 does sound really doable. And something that doesn't make you super sweaty? So if work is quiet, I could potentially go down to the gym in the building, change into clothes, do that workout, and then come back up without having to shower?? Maybe I will try it out tomorrow since it will definitely be quiet tomorrow.

    That dessert plate looks so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the wrong workout if you don't want something sweaty. I had a constant debate with myself over how sweaty was too sweaty to get on the office treadmill in winter. Sometimes you just have to go for it.

      Delete
    2. Well fiddlesticks. I often have zoom calls in the afternoon w/ clients so my sweat threshold is pretty low... maybe I can do this for the last 30 minutes of the day if things are quieter at work. At the start of last year, I tried to block out the last hour of the day for working out... and then work blew up in March and I had to delete that placeholder on my calendar. But I'm going to mark off Thursday at 3 for the first quarter of the year and see how that goes... I would rather do this walking exercise on the dreadmill than run. I HATE RUNNING ON THE DREADMILL. Yes, all caps.

      Delete
    3. Completely unrelated, but I love that you (Lisa) used "Fiddlesticks" in this comment. Thank you for reintroducing me to a fabulous substitute for... other words. ;) (Note: My go-to is "fudge", followed closely by either "fudgebunnies" or "crudmuffins". No idea of the origins of any of them, LOL.)

      Delete
  5. Your Christmas goodies look so delicious! I admire anyone who can bake so many wonderful things! I really want to read/listen to the Alphabet series. Why haven't I ever done it? They come so highly recommended. Your puzzle turned out so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many recommendations for the Alphabet series that I ignored before finally sitting down to it. Oh well, I might be late but I'm at the party now.

      Delete
  6. Hannah was about two(ish) when we got her (shepherd mix! girl!) and it was PERFECT. She was past the teenage stubbornness and now we're just dealing with regular shepherd stubbornness. Fully housetrained. Fully ready for obedience training. Fully WONDERFUL. I will keep an eye out for dogs that meet your requirements.

    I am thinking that next year I want to reread a lot of books. I really want to reread The Realm of the Elderlings, but this is making me think I should reread or relisten to the Alphabet books, too. So many good books to go back to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with Steppie. Two years old was perfect. She was mature enough to handle the boys but still had a good bit of puppy in her.

      There are those books that you can't just read once - you've got to read them and then come back to them and catch up like old friends. Plus so many new "friends" to meet in new books...so many good books to go back to and so many good books yet to find.

      Delete
  7. Oh, yum. Your cookie platter looks so good, AND I think I'll make those Oreo balls for my daughter when she gets back from her trip- she'll love them.
    I'm having puzzle envy- mine was a complete fail. i did put it away to save for next year, but I'm also thinking an advent puzzle might work better for us.
    Glad you were able to go ahead with your Christmas gathering! My sister's family gathering was canceled because of Covid (WHEN is Covid going to stop ruining everything???)
    I'm still loving Dover- thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oreo balls are always a hit.

      Everyone in my family LOVES puzzles but in the 10 years from the time that we met to before the advent puzzle the Hubs and I have spent a total of a one hour doing puzzles together and the kids have slotted in a piece here and there. The advent calendar worked because it only took a few minutes every day.

      Yay for Dover! I might be ready for a reread myself.

      Delete
  8. OMG that cookie tray! WANT!

    I'm glad you still got to have your big family gathering!

    Damn, 12-3-30 sounds hard! Good for you for feeling like you're adapting to it so fast :)

    Easter sounds like a great time to get a dog! Especially since it's early this year ;) And I have to apologize. You wrote in another post about last having an animal in bed and I asked when that was and was not thinking about Stepdog's passing! I apologize for that :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12-3-30 is a fun change up.

      Totally fine on the dog-in-bed. It's impossible to keep track of everyone's comings and goings in the blog world.

      Delete
  9. I am so impressed with your baking on the fly! Also, the phrase Future Dog is amazing and I may need to borrow it as we thinking about possible additions to our family's pets later in 2024 or 2025 (or beyond). My daughter asked for (but did not receive) a dog for Christmas after doing a 37-slide presentation about how she needed one for me and her dad earlier in December (even though we have my mom's dog who we took in 4 years ago) (slide 17 explained how Bella is not HER dog, btw, sigh)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she had done a 38 slide presentation she would have gotten her dog! We have a Bella in our dog neighborhood and I love the name.

      Delete
  10. I love Linssay42's daughter making a 37-slide presentation on needing a dog. Genius (even though it didn't work). I waffle between wanting another dog, and thinking I don't want another dog, I want Mulder back. Sigh. It's been 7 months now. My daughter said she would love a dog for her birthday, which is at the end of March. Perhaps we can make that happen, we'll see.

    I love cranberry desserts, those cranberry bars look AMAZING. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, glad that COVID went away in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, what you said, more than anything I want Stepdog back! We spent some time with friend & family dogs over the holidays and it's just so hard to imagine life with any dog but Steppie. But given that the choices are either living with no dog or getting another dog...getting another dog sounds pretty fabulous. In time though.

      Delete
  11. Your cookies look great, your French toast casserole looks great (and suspiciously like bread pudding, which is why I love being an adult and eating basically what equates to dessert for breakfast) and your egg muffins look great! This year my dad made bark with GF graham crackers, so I had a couple pieces of that, but staying away from wheat does help me to eat less (aka no) cookies during the holidays!

    I used to do a very similar treadmill workout when I used to go to the gym (ages ago). I would just keep upping the incline and trying to keep 3mph until I couldn't walk/hike anymore and then I would go at that incline for the rest of the time. I don' t know what the max on a normal gym treadmill is, but I found that it kept me from getting bored as I was changing it a little every few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes no gluten definitely cuts down on the Christmas treats. I've been meaning to make a flourless chocolate cake forever, but that's about the only thing I can think of.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for clarifying the 12-3-30! I typically walk at a 3% incline at 3.8 mph, so... not sure I could do the high incline from the beginning, but I might try a variation on this soon.
    I'm sorry losing stepdog left such a huge hole. :( We give them our hearts but then we know we have to say goodbye. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slow speed is what makes the high incline possible. I really couldn't imagine it before I tried it. It's a fun "different" thing to do on the tready.

      Stepdog's loss has been hard BUT it doesn't take away all the joy that we had with her. That's the real story. We had an epic 9 years, we were sad for a bit, and then we will have an epic time with Future Dog.

      Delete
  13. Wow, all the baking. I really want to try the cranberry bars that Suzanne posted.

    Nice job on finishing the puzzle. I am not surprised you're talking about "Future Dog"... I feel like most people who had a pet won't ever want to go without one again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I wish I had a treadmill so I could try the 12-3-30 workout with everyone else! I'm glad that's been working well for you.

    I love the plans for Future Dog. My beloved dog Dutch died in March 2018 and I only started feeling ready for a new pet in the fall, probably about 6 months later. And then I adopted Eloise in December 2018 and Lila in Februayr 2019 and became a crazy cat lady so there ya go!

    ReplyDelete