Thursday, December 14, 2023

Week in the Life: Tuesday December 12

Hey friends, we're doing a one week experiment where we hang out each day and I'll tell you everything that's going on in my life (inspired by Stephany's Week in the Life series).  Happy Tuesday!

On Tuesdays we sleep in until the luxurious hour of 6:30.  Hubs and I go downstairs - he has breakfast and makes sure that Stepson #2 gets up and gets himself out the door, and I go straight to the basement and hit the treadmill.  I feel good but not super fly so I just do a 20 minute power walk and watch Youtube videos.  My arm is completely back to normal after Sunday's COVID shot.  Stepson #2 is gone before I get back upstairs, so once again we miss each other in the morning.  Stepson #1 has finals this week, but none today so he gets to sleep in.

After my workout I start the coffee maker and head for the shower.  Then I come back downstairs and snuggle up with that sweet, sweet cup of coffee and Wordle.  It's a much better day today.  I start the Spelling Bee but it's not holding my interest so I abandon it and never look back.

I get hungry much sooner than yesterday and pop a Costco breakfast sandwich in the air fryer.  Same as yesterday, I eat a handful of grapes while I'm waiting for it to finish.  My Coffee Mug du Jour is the Shakespearean Insult Mug.

Oh hey it's 7:55 so it's time to go to work.  I stop for a Reheating of the Coffee on the way.  Let me show you my fabulous office setup.

When I say fabulous I mean comfortable and functional.  The chair and the monitors are from my previous employer and were gifts back when they switched to permanently remote in 2021.  My desk was less than $200 and it's adjustable so that I can stand on those rare occasions when I want to.  My work laptop is perched up on a box for the dual purpose of being eye level/hopefully a more flattering angle for Zoom.  My personal laptop is tucked away on the left.  I don't feel that I need to explain why I have a Rubix cube on my desk because doesn't everybody?  At one time I could solve it from memory but it's not an active skill right now.  My mouse is on the left because guess what I'm left handed.  I *can* use my right hand but I've stressed my wrist from doing too many right handed things so it's not comfortable.  I've got a photo frame chock full of our fabulous adventures which I adore seeing throughout the day.  The room has two windows so I've got good light on sunny days and off to the side I have my comfy chair that I recently acquired.  Overall it's a very pleasant place to spend the day.

Then I log in to work and my work space becomes instantly unpleasant because yeccccchhhh.  One million emails and one million things that I need to do RIGHT NOW.  My head gets scrambled and it takes a while to get out of the fog and get my bearings.  Oops coffee is cold, let's go downstairs for a Reheating of the Coffee.  Focus...focus...boss has questions so forget focusing.  This is pretty normal for my work mornings.  Recently I came across a productivity book that said that the key to success is to spend the first two hours of your work day getting prepared.  Isn't that a great tip?  Yes if only I would start work at midnight I could get fully organized before the rest of my team starts work on the other side of the globe.

Eventually I work my way through the fog and get into a grove of productively doing the work thing while chatting with my team on Slack.  I finish the US payroll before the deadline and switch over to ROW (rest of world).  So much stuff to go through...so many Excel files to make into one file.  It's actually something that I like doing so don't cry for me.  I want to take a break to kick back and read blogs but it's not in the cards right now.  There are more Reheatings of the Coffee which I finally finish around 11.

11:30 feels like the right time to get dressed and I'm feeling fancy so I invest in a 10 minute session with the curling iron.

Oh hey lunchtime!  I kind of want to have the Gochujang noodles again BUT Weekend Me bought salad mix and I have some of my favorite salad dressing on hand and those things have a time limit so it's a pasta and salad day.  If you're thinking "oh it must be nice to work from home so that you can cook lunch every day" I have news for you.  Yes it IS nice to work from home, but Murphy's law says that anytime that I decide to cook for lunch that will be the moment that my boss wants to have a call on Slack.  I've learned the hard way never to do anything more technical than use the microwave for lunch.  But I am very grateful to just be able to pull stuff out of the freezer instead of having to pull stuff out of the freezer and put it in a lunch bag so that I can take it to an office and put it in the office fridge and nuke it up in the office microwave.

I just happen to have penne with marinara in freezer, and we always have a giant bag of Costco frozen meatballs on hand so I combine the two and add a little more marinara and top with parm.  Salad mix comes out of the bag and gets tossed with dressing for a Two Plate Special.

Afterwards I go out for my lunch walk/podcast listen.  It's a little cool but not too cold and there's a big yellow ball in the sky.  Much improved over yesterday.

After lunch it seems like I've made enough of a dent in the day's work to take a break, so I kick back in my office comfy chair and read the bloggy blogs.  I put in another work sesh.  The most exciting thing is that the US payroll reports come back from our payroll provider so I get to check them out and make sure everyone's getting paid what they're supposed to be paid.  OK fine it's just another exercise in Excel but it's a "feel good" exercise in Excel.  Sure enough the numbers are what they are supposed to be so I approve the payroll.  And that's the end of the fun stuff because the rest is boring.  We're still on our quest to hunt down every non-payroll goodie given to every employee and make sure that we've taxed everything that needs to be taxed.  This is going to continue up to the minute that we send out the rest of world payroll so all I can do is go through the motions and wait it out.  This is one of those rare days in this job where my work goes past 5, but I'm logged out by 5:30 so nothing too terrible.

Meanwhile downstairs Hubs and Stepson #2 have started dinner.  It's a mac n'cheese n'nuggets night (the dark blob is BBQ sauce).  I would rather have anything else for dinner but I'm part of a family so I've settled for mostly eating what everyone else eats.  It's worth it for the company.


After dinner I take a walk and the boys get ready for Scouts.  They're gone before I get back.  I watch a little TV (TMZ and random Youtube) and write the bloggo.  I haven't had any snacks today so a treat is called for.  I snag a Magnum double gold bar out of the freezer.

The fellas come home and sack out for a bit.  Hubs and I do the puzzle of the day.  We're at the halfway point of the puzzle so if anyone is keeping track we're halfway through advent in the blink of an eye.


Hubs and I make our way upstairs and showering/reading/crossword puzzling ensue.  I'm very tired but again my body can't figure out how to make the sleep thing happen so I bring in an assist from a sleep meditation.  I wake up several times in the night but sleep is decent enough.  And the next thing I know it's Wednesday.  But that's a story for tomorrow.



21 comments:

  1. This made me giggle: "11:30 feels like the right time to get dressed and I'm feeling fancy so I invest in a 10 minute session with the curling iron."

    I'm glad that your work has SOME things that are pleasant. But a boss who can sense exactly when you are trying to make lunch sounds dreadful. Also, Weekend You really should have anticipated how great those noodles were going to be. I need to try them.

    Sorry to hear you have been waking up a lot at night. I am in that club, too, and I wish I could quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is a mix of good, bad, and boring. It's a really unique situation.

      My sleep is all over the place....wait it's just like work - a mix of good and bad.

      Delete
  2. I have you to thank for introducing me to that salad dressing. It's just so good! I used it all summer long with kale, and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to share things that are as good as the Caesar dressing. I haven't had a "real" Caesar salad in a while and I don't think I would like it as much after having the CLV one.

      Delete
  3. How long does that salad dressing last? If I make it on a Sunday night, could I bring it to work for the week (in a fridge)? Or is it a 2-3 day deal? I need to know this important information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My opinion is that it's good for a week, and I've stretched it a bit further than that although I'm not sure if it's the recommended practice. Definitely more than 2-3 days. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Waking up during the night is not fun. Luckily my work time difference is only Melbourne to China (so they're 2-3 hours behind), but I do have to remind myself that I'm not going to get an answer to my pressing question for at least another 2 hours when I'm working first thing. I'm a leftie too but I mainly use my right hand for the mouse. This is because when I started using a computer it was always on a communal computer at uni. Sometimes I have a tight shoulder on the right so I switch to my left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Team Leftie! My right wrist gets very tight when I use a mouse. Yes I can do it but if I don't then I have no problems with my wrist.

      Delete
  5. I think I need to start using sleep meditations- I slept horribly last night and feel like crap today. But I just lie there wishing I could sleep- I guess I need to do something about it, duh.
    Yes, what a GREAT productivity tip- spend two hours getting ready for the workday. Who has that kind of time???
    I immediately noticed your Rubik's cube because my son is a Rubik's cube fanatic. He used to spend HOURS memorizing algorithms and used to be able to solve it in less than a minute. I'll have to ask him if he can still do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes the sleep meditations are awesome. Sometimes I get stubborn about "I can fall asleep on my own so I don't need them" and then exactly what you said - I lie there wishing I could sleep.

      How many different kinds of Rubix cubes did your son have? We have the 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5 - the boys could never solve them but they could make them into some really neat patterns. As the boring adult I can only memorize the solutions and solve them.

      Delete
  6. Reading about work reminded me that on the Monday post I wanted to say how annoying it is when someone expects you to be available before 8:00 am. That happened to me several times this week and it was with fellow CT zoners. Sigh. I like the idea of everyone I work with being on a later time zone though so my afternoons are chiller. Hmm.

    But that comment seems super rude when you were saying how nutso your mornings normally are, so please ignore me! LOL because I also know I feel overwhelmed when I log on and already have 20 emails and can't imagine a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was in charge of the word no one would work before 9 AM in their local time zone, there would be a full hour lunch break, work would end at 4 PM locally and I bet that everything would still get done.

      To be fair I send plenty of emails in the afternoons so my coworkers load up my inbox in the morning and I return the favor at night.

      Delete
  7. I also don't mind Excel work - I find it quite satisfying sometimes. I love your office setup. Comfortable and functional!
    I have bookmarked that salad dressing to try.

    My MIL got the puzzle calendar and she thought she'd have to wait til the end to get started on the 1000 piece puzzle... and I told her "no, you can do 42 pieces a day and then the puzzle will be done. Her mind was blown - haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your office! When you say the laptop is eye level, do you mean when you're standing? Or am I just so short that I can't imagine that laptop being eye level for me, haha?

    It's fun to see the puzzle get more and more 'done' as this week in the life challenge goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, it's not perfectly level with my other monitors but it's at a comfortable point for me to look up at and not have to crane my head down to see it.

      It's bittersweet - the puzzle is going fast.

      Delete
  9. Hearing about your sleep issues makes me so grateful that, for the most part, I don't struggle with that anymore. I am probably jinxing myself by saying that! But I used to have HORRIBLE insomnia. Now I rarely struggle with it. When I do, I get out my kindle and read for awhile until I feel tired again. But gosh it was horrible when I had chronic insomnia. I was a total zombie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I just woke up a few times in the night, it was nothing bad. I just have to be vigilant about using the sleep meditations to nip it in the bud when I have trouble sleeping.

      Delete
  10. I wish I could use sleep meditations. Alas, I require quiet (hence the issues with my neighbors and their #%@*(* bass... last night, I could hear their conversation in what I assume is a bedroom so have been up since... 0100).
    What vegan mayo do you use? I am not a mayo fan and... yeah. Vegan sour cream instead, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I would not do well with your neighbors. At one point this fall I stayed in an Airbnb that was right next to the highway and the noise at night was unreal. I could hear people's car stereos. They had a white noise machine and that just made it worse.

      I use Hellman's vegan mayo and it's fantastic. It's much less greasy than regular mayo with all of the taste. I'm not sure if the dressing would work with sour cream, it just seems like that's a different substance entirely. But you could make a smaller batch to test it.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to look for the Hellman's. Or try a bit of sour cream and if it's a fail, use it for something else. What, I'm not sure, but I'll figure it out. I shall report back. :)

      Delete