Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Week in the Life: Monday. December 11

Hey friends, let's do something a little different this week.

I'm a huge fan of "day in the life" posts but every time that I sit down to write one I quickly become horrified by the mundanity of my life and think "I don't want to write this and no one wants to read it". 

But during NaBloPo I was very taken with Stephany's Week in the Life series, and now I find myself motivated to try again. Sometimes you just need to sit down and write the kind of content that you want to see, so we're going to take another stab at this and see what happens.  The worst case is that this will be incredibly boring, the best case is that I might learn something, and the ultimate best case is that some of the other Cool Bloggers might do this themselves (HINT!  HINT!).  In any case, there's not a lot happening this week so I might as well spend my free time doing a bit of extra blogging.

I'm giving myself a bit of a head start by not posting Monday's recap until Wednesday, so hopefully I'll be able to keep up with tracking my fascinating life.

Here's what went down in the life on Monday, December 11.

On Mondays and Wednesdays I get up before the hubs, so the goal is always to wake up and get downstairs before the silent alarm on my Garmin goes off.  Today is a rousing success in that department.  I wake up around 5:30 and snuggle until 5:50 when I get up for real and tip toe downstairs.

Coffee is the first order of business.  I looooove coffee but as an adult I recognize that there's a limit to how much caffeine I can have, so I only drink one cup a day.  My go-to brew is Trader Joe's French Roast and I always grind the beans the night before so that all I have to do is to put water in the coffee maker and turn in on.  Today I have the "small" size which is two scoops of beans and water up to the "3" marker.  The Mug du Jour was a wedding present and I pour in a splash of half and half.

While the coffee brews I grab my laptop and go down to our basement gym.  I change into workout clothes (which I keep in the gym) and connect my laptop to the TV.  That takes long enough for the coffee to brew, so I go back upstairs to get My Precious and then it's workout time.  I pop in my airpods so that everyone else can keep sleeping while I start sweating.


Plan A was to do a full body workout from the Caroline Girvan Epic Endgame series on Youtube, but I realize that's not going to work.  I got my COVID booster yesterday and although it isn't terrible, my arm is just sore enough that upper body work is off the table.  OK, so either I'm going to skip strength or I'm going to find a lower body workout...I scroll through her video list and come up with a 15 minute lower body workout.

Problem solved!  Wait you say, we know you're on a quest to do pushups three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays so how are you going to pull that off?  Well, I luckily I'm psychic so I did my Monday pushups on Sunday right before I had my shot so the pushup quota has already been filled.

After the strength workout I hop on the treadmill for a 20 minute power walk.   I need something to do besides stare at the wall for 20 minutes, and random Youtube videos fit the bill.

I'm done working out at 6:50 which is much earlier than normal.  Hubs is eating breakfast and stepson #2 should be downstairs since he gets picked up for school at 7, but he's still getting ready so he and I end up being ships that pass in the night.  I put my laptop away in my nook in the back room and stop by the kitchen to do the first Reheating of the Coffee.  Then I go upstairs and shower. The hubs and I are pretty spartan with our shower products, but here's what goes down.  The hubs has another nook with his shampoo.  And yes I use his body wash because (1) I like it and (2) it cuts down on the number of products we have in the shower.

Post shower we have the exciting world of moisturizer and leave in conditioner.  I don't have any on camera meetings today, so we're air drying.  I slip into my "day" pajamas, which are leggins and a long sleeved hoodie.


Normally I'm really rushed in the mornings but today is a welcome exception.  I'm not ready for food yet, so I get right back in bed and sip on my coffee while doing Wordle and the NY Spelling Bee.  Today was not my day for Wordle.

I work for an international company so the day started a long time ago for everyone else on my team.  My phone is in do not disturb mode until 7, and my boss and her boss are hard at it chatting on our 3-way Slack channel.  I firmly ignore them until I start work at 8 - I mean if something is on fire yes I'll start work early but otherwise work stays on the "ignore" list until the work day starts.  I end up with about 20 minutes of blog reading time, which is a rarity these days.

Ok, it's getting close to 8.  I go into my office, which is the spare bedroom next door and fire up my work laptop.  Then I go downstairs for another Reheating of the Coffee and nuke up a breakfast burrito.  I munch on a handful of grapes while it's heating up.  Stepson #1 has gotten up, had breakfast, and was hanging out with hubs for a bit and is now heading out the door.  Hubs makes his way up to his office, which is down the hall from me.  We learned very early on the pandemic that we can do everything together except share an office.  I mean, I don't know what his problem is since my work is fascinating but whatever.  I head back upstairs with breakfast and get into it.

Let's werk it!  If you're new here, I am an accountant that specializes in payroll, or an "accountant who has fun" as I like to think of it.  It's a blend of traditional accounting plus paying people.  I work for an international company that has just enough employees in the US that they needed someone who gets a US paycheck to run things over here.  Over the past two years I've weaseled my way into the international payrolls as well.  This week we're finishing off the US and Canada payrolls for December 15th, and then we'll switch over to the "everyone else" payrolls that will pay at the end of the month. 

As you'll see, there are advantages to being in a different time zone than the rest of your team but first thing in the morning is not one of them.  It's morning for me and afternoon for everyone else, so they've got quite a head start on me.  The ol' inbox is full and busting at the seams.  I start by parsing through and figuring out what's going on today, and then what has been handled already and what needs to be done.  Today isn't too shabby, and in the end I've just got a handful of things to chase down for payroll.  The big thing that's going down is that it's close to year end, so for the past few weeks we've been chasing down all of the fringe benefits - stuff like employee gifts that the tax man gets a cut from so they have to be reported in payroll.  Every country has different rules on what's taxable and what isn't and if no one minds me saying so, it's insanely boring to keep track of.

My boss has a couple of questions for me on Slack and my boss's boss calls me to go over one of the fringe projects.  It's nothing that I actually want to do, but also nothing that's too annoying.  Around 10 I finally finish my coffee, brush my teeth, and take a little break to snuggle up in my comfy office chair and read blogs.  My work computer will go to sleep after 15 minutes of no activity, so I make sure to move my mouse every once in a while to keep my Slack light on.  Yes I've heard of mouse jigglers but I work for my living so I just move the mouse myself.  I have to say that the ability to work for a while and then take downtime for a while is the #1 perk of working from home.  I've always needed breaks in my work day and it's so much better to just relax instead of...mentally checking out and pretending to look like I'm working which I what I did back in the bad ol' office days.  Just curious for my fellow folks with traditional "sit at a desk" jobs how many of you are actually "balls to the wall" busy for 8 hours straight?  I've had some busy jobs in my time but I've always worked on the "do work take breaks" system.

I get back to werk but now I'm hungry so I grab a small cereal bar from the kitchen and get back at it.  This tides me over to lunch.  My boss and boss's boss stop working earlier than usual so I'm in total control of my time today.

It's noon.  If you think that people who WFH just sit around in their PJs all day, you are half right.  I get dressed in a casual shirt and jeans before heading down to lunch.  The hubs has come downstairs as well.  He makes a turkey sandwich and I reheat a lil' something that I cooked up on Sunday that I'm very excited about: Rainbow Plant Life's Gochujang noodles.  I feel like every time I link to a recipe I have to tell you everything that I did differently: no bok choy because I didn't have any, orange bell pepper instead of red because that's what the store had, I added in some frozen fried tofu blocks, and I doubled the sauce.  This is goooood stuff.

After lunch I head out for a walk around the block.  It's as much of a physical as a mental activity to get some movement and clear my head.  I listen to a podcasts while I'm out there.  It's a so-so day.  Cloudy and kind of dark, but not too cold and the snow is pretty.

After I get back I get a lil' treat and head back up to work.

By three I've done everything that I need to do for the day except send a few emails, so I hop back into my comfy chair and take an internet break.  I feel snacky so I grab a small bag of microwave popcorn.  Hubs just so happens to be downstairs on a plant watering break and stepson #2 comes home so I finally get to see him.  We chit chat for a bit and then everyone goes back to work and/or homework.  Another perk of work from home is being able to see your family during the day.

I alternate blog writing with sending out emails and shut down right at 5.  

Dinner time!  Or more accurately, let's call it leftover reheating time.  The fellas have leftover turkey pot pie from last night, and I have another chicken sausage and rice deal.  My gourmet cooking method is to grab a chicken sausage out of the freezer, microwave it for 30 seconds, pierce the skin with a knife, and then pop it in the air fryer for 5 minutes.  While that goes down, I reheat some chicken flavored rice that I made a while ago that's been in the freezer and some peas.  It's not wildly exciting, but it gets the job done.  Stepson #1 is still at school, where he's wrapping up his first semester of college, so it's just hubs, #2, and me for dinner.

After dinner the hubs and I go out for a walk.  Just a few weeks ago that sentence would have read "after dinner Stepdog takes the hubs and me for a walk".  We are grateful for the wonderful years that we had with our incredible dog and that she passed peacefully AND we miss her terribly and it's fair to say that we continue to have small moments of "Stepdog sads" throughout the day.

After we get back Hubs settles down in his relaxing spot in the front room and I settle into my lair in the back room. I hear a strange noise from the front room so I investigate and find that Hubs is setting up the cool Nerf gun that we won at my company Christmas party on Friday. Hilarity and chaos ensue.

Stepson #1 comes home and has the remaining piece of turkey pot pie and hangs out with hubs.  Stepson #2 disappears into homework with his headphones on.  Hubs works out and then he and I do today's section of our puzzle advent calendar.  This is a new tradition for us this year and I don't know how we made it through previous advents without it. 

After that we settle back into our respective lairs until bedtime.  I indulge in my #1 vice of watching the TMV TV show.  It's 20 minutes of brain candy and it's where I learned about my current favorite news story - when you're a 79 year old legend who everyone thinks is sitting in a rocking chair and looking back on your glory days but you're really letting Mariah Carey know who's boss of the Christmas charts.  This is followed by more random videos on Youtube, a good browse of the internets, and further writing of this post.  

The night wears on and the hubs and I make our way upstairs.  I take a quick shower and if you're saying wait hold the phone you took a shower this morning, bravo for paying attention.  Yes I take two showers on days when I work out.  The morning shower is the "heavy duty" one because workout sweat.  The night shower is mostly to help with dry eye syndrome.  The secret sauce to managing the dry eye beast in addition to gallons of eye drops and an omega 3 supplement is to put this goop on my eye lids and take a quick shower.  If I leave the goop on it irritates my eyes, if I wipe it off I doesn't really do anything, but if I hop in the shower and get some steam on it that's where the magic happens.  And no the magic doesn't happen if I do it in the morning, it has to be at night.  I think it's because sleep is drying to my eyes so having them not dry when I go to bed puts me ahead of the curve.  Whatever, it works and things that work are gold in the dry eye world.

After the shower I snuggle in bed with the hubs.  It's just after 10, which is when the NYT crossword puzzle comes out, so I do the mini and the regular puzzle.  After that I've got enough time to read a chapter of my latest book, A is for Alibi.  Around 10:30 hubs turns out his light so I pack it up myself.  I'm tired but my brain is blazing and I'm thinking a million thoughts.  My head won't shut up which I know from experience is not compatible with sleep.  I pull out my airpods and fire up a sleep mediation on the Insight Timer app.  It takes two 15 minute meditations to get my head where my body needs it to be.  I stay awake long enough to take my airpods out and the next thing I know it's Tuesday.  But that's a story for tomorrow.


24 comments:

  1. An "accountant who has fun" - a statement that can only be said by an accountant.

    I love these sort of posts, so YAY! Can't wait to keep reading them <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOHHH!! I LOVE "day in the life" or even better yet, "week in the life" posts. Why is it so fascinating to see how other people spend their days??? I think it's fun for everyone, but maybe even more so for me because my job is so, so different from most people's. You work from home? You sit at a computer? You answer emails? What is this world?
    Yes, I was actually missing Stepdog in there, so if I missed him I can just imagine how you must feel. But, how nice to have all the family home like that! Even with one boy at college, at least he comes home at the end of the day. It sounds really nice and cozy. Looking forward to Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't answer why it's so fascinating but I know that every time I see a post like that in my Feedly that I can't click the link fast enough. Yes I get paid to sit at a computer and my job duties include paying myself. It's an interesting world.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy Day in the Life posts, and yours was great! It's fun to get a glimpse into your life, your job, and all the yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love a "week in the life" post! I can't wait to follow along. On my blog dreams list for next year, I have attempting one of these....

    Do you drink coffee while you work out???

    I, too, am a 2 shower a day person when I work out! I'm trying to instill a "body showers before bed" policy with my child (different than "everything showers" where hair washing comes in)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, that's EXACTLY what I want to see - week in the life posts from other folks!!!

      I drink coffee while lifting. The program that I follow has 20-30 second breaks which makes for perfect sipping time. I don't/can't drink coffee while doing cardio.

      And yay for another 2 shower a day person!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic project!! I'm so happy you are doing this.
    1) I have a post coming up this weekend about beauty products and your shower game is hysterical to me. I alone have two types of shampoo, three conditioners, face soap, body oil, shave gel, and a razor in the shower. My husband has shampoo, soap, and some weird giant black mystery bottle (does he need soap AND body wash? maybe the soap it just for his face?). Three bottles. LOL.
    2) This encouraged me to create a calendar event for Oct. 1 of 2024 to "order puzzle advent calendar." You have influenced me, so now you are an official influencer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've achieved INFLUENCER STATUS!!!! My work here is done.

      Delete
  6. I am one thousand percent on board for this week in a life series. I never get bored with the details of other people's lives. I find them frankly fascinating. PARTICULARLY THE BEAUTY PRODUCTS. God, I live for skin care and beauty product discussions.
    Aw, Stepdog. I'm sorry, it is so sad to miss those fuzzy loveballs.
    Loveballs? Wtf was that. Sorry. That sounded weird.
    Love the puzzle, love the pretty snow, love it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes doggos and kitties are loveballs. You used proper English.

      Delete
  7. What a peaceful Monday! Your family life is very happy one.

    Wordle for the win! I do a battle every day with my dad and my sister. It's a great way to stay in touch every day.
    I love your minimalist approach! Our shower has three bottles for both of us: shampoo, conditioner (for me) and a shower gel. I can't stand clutter.

    I also have to ask: before starting a workout, do you drink any water? (I drink lemon water, then a green tea, then a black tea... I need a lot of liquids to start my day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness I think I'm telling you everything but there are so many mundane details that get left out. YES I DRINK WATER LIKE A FISH. I carry a water bottle everywhere with me. I always drink a bunch before, during and after my workout and then continuously throughout the day. Let's not even talk about how much water I was drinking when I was running.

      Delete
  8. WHY is it so intensely fascinating to read about other people's day-to-day lives?! So fascinating! I have so many things to say. First of all: we are razor twins! Also, I love your mug and your workout setup. Is that a fan, set up near your TV? Because if so I need more details please because I am pretty sure we need one for our gym area. Okay, but here is my main question: DO YOU DRINK COFFEE WHILE YOU EXERCISE?!?! I get overheated just drinking a cup of hot tea in the morning, while doing absolutely nothing, so it boggles my mind to think that people drink coffee while they work out. But maybe I am just weird! I could only ever drink water while exercising. COLD water.

    And awww, loss is so hard because it recurs, every day, in so many ways. Hoping that the good memories eventually outweigh the pain.

    I very much look forward to the rest of this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you know a Costco membership when you see one! Yes that's my go-to place for razors and gym fans. Even better the fan has a remote control which is very useful on the treadmill.

      Yes I sip coffee while I'm lifting. The programs that I do have 20-30 second breaks so it's ideal for sipping. I don't/can't drink coffee on the treadmill. I always knew that it takes me a long time to drink a cup of coffee but until I started writing this I didn't realize that on some days it takes me until 11 to finish the small cup that I make at 6. Too wild.

      Delete
  9. I didn't know Garmin had a silent alarm! I wonder if my watch does that. I should check it out.

    There is no way anyone is balls to the wall productive for an entire work shift, not even air traffic controllers (lol based on the NY Times article that came out about that, but really, eek).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the F35, the F235, and now the Fenix 6 and all of them had alarms so if your Garmin is anywhere in that vintage I bet it has an alarm as well.

      Eek the air traffic controller article. I started it but got freaked out and didn't finish it. I really hate this about myself, but I've gotten scared of flying over the years and the article didn't help.

      Delete
  10. I love day in the life posts and that was much more interesting to read (for your followers) than you might realize... but since you're enjoying these posts from others, it's maybe not so surprising we enjoy these types of posts from you :)

    I was a little taken aback by the fact that you LOVE your morning coffee, but only drink one mug that you reheat TWO TIMES! (No, no, no. No reheating coffee over here. If it takes you 4 hours to drink that one cup - are you savoring it? - you need a mug heating pad pronto!)

    I love my silent Garmin alarm. :)

    Oh, and I love your downstairs gym. I wish I had a room like that to just hide away during my workouts (my bike is in the middle of the living room, eek.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I NEVER reheat my coffee twice...more like 5-6 times. I don't know why I'm such a slow coffee drinker. I wasn't this way back when I worked in an office.

      Delete
  11. OMG I AM SO HAPPY YOU'RE DOING THIS! Sorry that I am coming to your posts SO LATE. But just SQUEE YAY!!

    This post makes me feel so much better about all the breaks I take during the day. I just cannot sit still for a long time and focus on NOTHING but work. My brain just doesn't work that way so giving myself small breaks throughout the day is essential. I'm also a big fan of silencing all Slack messages during my lunch break + at night. Thankfully, my boss doesn't get mad if I don't answer her messages immediately. It would be so stressful if that were the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I had doubts about being able to even write a one day recap, but once I got the rhythm going it became very satisfying. I'm curious to see what will be different if I do this again next year.

      I just can't imagine work without breaks...my boss will occasionally message me over lunch but only once after 5 since it's so late for her. In my last job with a US company people thought nothing of sending Slacks at night. I never answered or sent a pointed "hey is it OK if I get back to you tomorrow?" but it was so rude (and never anything urgent).

      Delete
  12. I love these posts! I am so behind (sigh) but hope to catch up over the holidays when, I presume, people will not post as frequently. Thanks for sharing your day! I am astonished at the breaks you and Stephany take. I do other things but I don't think I disconnect that completely, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE TO DISCONNECT. My brain is very on/off and if I work too long I can't concentrate and start making mistakes. For me to focus on work all day it would have to be something very fascinating.

      Delete