Friday, November 11, 2022

NaBloPo: 5 Minutes

 Hey Friends, I have another 5 minute time limit on posting tonight so bear with me.

 

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine

  •  I took advantage of my day off to go on a local-ish day trip.  Lotsa driving but I got to cross off two bucket list items on my local tourism list.
  • There was an Official Rite of Passage in our house today.  Stepson #1 is a new driver and he got pulled over for running a stop sign.  Luckily he was on his way to a Boy Scout Veteran's Day event in his Boy Scout uniform so I think that worked in his favor to make it a warning instead of a ticket.
  • It's a no kids weekend and I got home kind of late so we wanted something easy for dinner.  We dipped into our stash of freezer burritos (veggie for me, chicken for him) so it's basically a poor man's Chipotle kind of night.

Peace out!  This might be my shortest ever post.

How old were you when you got your first traffic violation (or have you never gotten one?)  I was 17 and it was for speeding.  I had to go to juvie court with a parent which was a royal pain so I became a religiously slow driver until my 18th birthday.

 

13 comments:

  1. Freezer burritos sound DELISH. I took out chili from the freezer earlier this week and it tastes even better when there is no prep work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I'm a big fan of cooking once and then letting the freezer do the rest.

      Delete
  2. I've never gotten a speeding ticket and have always gotten away with a warning (the privileges of being a white woman). I did get into an accident in college, though, and totaled my truck. So that was the first and only time I've actually gotten a ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I got a speeding ticket when I was 18, and I've never gotten one again. I've gotten other tickets though- one for making an illegal u-turn, and then of course the recent one for my accident (sigh.) I like how your stepson was wearing his Boy Scout uniform- that was lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a Boy Scout uniform works wonders. I was on my way to work when I got my juvie ticket and my McDonald's uniform didn't do me any good.

      Delete
  4. Oooh! The first time being stopped by the police! I have never (yet) gotten a ticket (touch wood), but I very clearly remember being home from college one year, and picking my brother up from high school, and lecturing him on always making a Full and Complete Stop at stop signs... and then being pulled over. By a newly-minted officer I used to go to high school with, no less. I swear to the high heavens that I did not run that stop sign, I was teaching a lesson! But I did get a warning. Still shreds my cheese to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Yes that is a cheese-shredding experience. I'm sure that your brother has NEVER EVER mentioned it again;-)

      Delete
  5. I've only had two incidents in 25+ years of driving. One was a "speeding ticket" (which I write in quotation marks, because it wasn't really speeding in the sense of the words... it was early in the evening and I was caught by a traffic camera driving 30 in a 25 zone with literally nobody else on the street)... the other time was when I was merging on the freeway and bumped the back of a car because the drive suddenly pulled over into my lane with warning. Nothing really happened there and I haven't had any incident since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known a few people who got "caught" by cameras. I think the cameras have fallen out of favor (I hope so anyway).

      Delete
  6. my first ever ticket was a parking ticket. I parked in the middle of the forest at a lake. some neighbor called it in and apparently when you drove through the community there was a sign at the towns entrace that parking at the lake was prehibited... I was so mad about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. One of the local trips that I took this summer was to a historic site that was in a very posh area and I definitely got a frosty vibe from the natives. I had the feeling that they had a lot of rules like that.

      Delete
  7. Hanging my head in shame... the first ticket I ever got was for running a red light. I was 17. And on my way from a family dinner out to a high school basketball game. Also? I will swear to my dying day that the car behind me ALSO ran the light but was not ticketed. The only other one? Embarrassingly enough, on my way to the gym. "Speeding", on a deserted road, at 4:55 in the morning. Sigh. Glad you got out for that local visit! I need to emulate you and get out of my apartment more... Maybe over winter break...

    ReplyDelete