Monday, November 7, 2022

NaBloPo: Monday Matters

Well this is quite interesting.  Since I've been posting once a day I shouldn't have enough material to fill up my normal Weekly Roundup post but somehow it's pretty close.  To be fair there's really nothing to talk about for workouts or TV, but I got eats, a book, and some snarky werk talk.  Let's go! (Wait I stole "Let's Go" from Caroline Girvan so I guess we have workout talk after all).


For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine 

Food Talk 

Item #1

I made Shepherd's Pie for Sunday dinner (pictured above).

Item #2

We have boatloads of leftover pizza from the weekend, and it just so happens that I'm in the mood to eat boatloads of leftover pizza for lunch for a while.  And yes I totally used this as an excuse to make up another batch of Cheap Lazy Vegan's Caesar salad dressing to go with.


Item #3

While the Shepherd's Pie was cooking, I whipped up a sesame tofu stir fry for dinners this week.  Big taste/little effort = recommend!

Reads

My reading dry spell came to an end.  A few weeks ago I read two really good books back to back and then didn't have anything else on tap, so I took a reading break while I waited for something else to come along.

Something else came along!  A long time ago I read a book called The Passenger by Lisa Lutz that I greatly enjoyed, and for some reason it came to mind and I checked to see if she'd written anything else since then.  The options were a "weird things happen at upscale private schools" book which isn't my genre and The Accomplice, which got my attention from the first sentence of the plot summary so I looked no further and clicked the checkout button on Libby.

IMO, the Dual Timelines structure has been done to death and too often I feel like it's used to camouflage a weak plot.  But when it works, it works.  The recap from as far as I've gotten: Owen and Luna are two attractive people who meet in college.  Flash forward to their adult lives and they are very close friends, though 100% in the Friend Zone.  Someone close to Owen is murdered, Luna finds the body, and they say to each other "aw man, not again"  I'm here eating it up and not complaining one bit when the story goes from "Eek a body!" to "Meanwhile in Sophomore year".  I'll keep you posted.

Werk Snark Talk

I had an intro call with the recruiter at Cool Startup (that company that contacted me out of the blue last thing on Friday to ask if I wanted to interview with them).  Mind you, I've settled down in my current job and I'm not looking BUT if someone is going to take the trouble to come to me, then duh of course I'm going to give them the time of day.

It was a good chat.  Usually recruiter calls are by phone but this one was video, which I like because I feel like I get more of a vibe on the company when I have a visual.  Everything was good so of course I'm interested in learning more about them and I'll find out if they want to move forward in a few days.  The only "huh" that I've got is that he never asked about compensation, which may or may not be a red flag.

My snark talk isn't about MY work but about something I've been watching on LinkedIn.  New York City just went live with a new law that requires employers to disclose the pay range in job postings.  I am all for this since one of the things that I've observed at every company that I've ever worked for in my career as a payroll accountant is that people who get promoted up from entry level jobs tend give a lot of value to their employers and they tend to be very loyal AND they also tend to get stuck with entry level salaries.  Real life example: you start at a company making $40k and two years later you've had a string of promotions that have taken you up to $60k which means that you're pretty happy with your life.  Especially since you don't know that the person who left the job that you got promoted into was making $120k and that person wasn't particularly good at the job and you're terrific.  No I am not making those numbers up and no it is not something that I saw happen one time - ya get me?  I've also shared that I've had positive conversations with my colleagues in recruiting and overall I feel that they really do see it as part of their jobs to help end pay discrimination by such practices as asking "what is your desired compensation?" instead of "whaddya make now and dude we're gonna pay you the same".

What are employers doing about the new NYC law?  LinkedIn News has the answers!

Some Firms Try to Avoid NYC Pay Laws (TL&DR companies are outsourcing recruiting so that the ads are coming from third parties and not them so they don't have to include the pay range)

$200k Pay Ranges Under New NYC Law (TL&DR those bastards are listing pay ranges such as $173k to $380k so to make the ranges useless)

lol no surprises there.  Things do change and dinosaurs do become extinct.  It just takes a while.

 

18 comments:

  1. I am verklempt about job stuff right now. Verklempt. Even reading your post sort of stressed me out. Meanwhile, I'm on book five of a rut that makes me wonder if there are any good books out there. I mean, I LIKE reading, don't I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frickin' jobs. Hang in there and keep your chin up!

      I go through phases where I just can't find anything that clicks for reading and it makes me think that I'm the pickiest person ever. And then I get the right book and everything is right again.

      Delete
  2. Yay for shepherd's pie! One of my most favourite dishes ever!
    Clever workaround by those NYC companies. Salary is something nobody EVER talks about in Switzerland. The odds are higher that people would talk about their sex life (which is also an impossibility).
    Hopefully, things will change with the younger generation... but it's going to take a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how pay equality compares in different countries. Whether it's all a big secret or if there are some countries with better (or worse) outcomes...we'll never know unless people start talking.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh that stir fry looks good. I was going to make a pad Thai tonight but maybe, just maybe, I'll switch it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See endorsement by Jenny below! And now I'm craving pad Thai.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I've made that stir fry, it's delicious. In general, Nora's recipes are very reliable (I used her recipe for the cake I made Sunday.)
    I think salary is definitely something that should be more transparent. If we all disclosed our salaries then it would be pretty hard for companies to discriminate based on race/gender. Sounds like we have a way to go though, even with new laws like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the first recipe of hers that I've made. I just went where Google took me and I definitely saw a few other recipes on her site that looked good!

      Delete
  5. Shepperd's Pie sounds like a delicious fall dish that I should put on our menu plan.

    Regarding recruiting, I think I outed myself and told you I never had a real job interview in my life. Ha. I know nothing about salary negotiations either. Since I work for the government, there aren't really any negotiations to be had either, but I do feel that people get stuck in certain "salary ranges" without options for promotion while keeping everything running when people from the sides swoop in for the higher paying positions. It's a bit frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your current job is working for you,then you're set! Nothing wrong with that. Until last year it had been many years since I'd last interviewed.

      Delete
  6. Hope the book is a success. I've been reading more lately (after a long summer/early fall slump), but the books I've ended up with haven't been great. Oh well, win some/lose some...but I really would love to find a tremendous book right now.
    I just walked through the door after a trip to the library and I have a fresh stack of holds. Maybe something in there will be a runaway winner? Fingers crossed!

    http://elisabeth-frost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is really good! I hope that there's something good in your pile!

      Delete
  7. That stir fry looks yummy! And the salary stuff makes me so mad. SO MAD. I have a friend who's struggling with the very thing you are talking about. She's a superstar and has been gradually working her way up the ladder and she still isn't making what she should. And to make matters more frustrating, her bosses keep saying things like, "You're underpaid, we know it," and then doing NOTHING about it. I get so frustrated on her behalf. That's not a way to keep your top employees. Companies can be so short sighted when it comes to money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word! I hope that your friend gets paid what she's worth - whether it's there or somewhere else!

      Delete
  8. The stir fry looks delicious. I would take a portion... Reading rugs are the worst. However I never find myself in the situation to not having a book at hand to read. It is more decision fatigue because I have so many...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good position to be in! I know what you mean though. Sometimes I'll have a few books come in at once and I can't decide what to start first and then it spirals into not being able to get into any of them. Oh well.

      Delete
  9. I need to just bookmark your site as a source for recipes and inspiration. Seriously, your meals always look fantastic! Glad you got out of the reading rut. Oh, and as a public employee (state university), if you know my name, you can find out how much I make. Totally transparent. The same was true - I think - when I worked for the feds - at least, the (very narrow) range was available based on one's level. I always find it a bit odd - that anyone can see my salary if they so choose - but that's how it is! (It's also super-hard to compare people even at the same level, due to differences in outside funding, etc.) That said, I think it's a great idea for all positions to have a range, for us to talk more about pay for different jobs, and those companies trying to weasel out of it are just... blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Sometimes there are reasons other than money to take a job and I certainly don't think that, for example, all payroll accountants should make the same $, but some of the pay disparities that I've seen have been really unfortunate.

      Delete