Saturday, November 5, 2022

NaBloPo: Weekending

 

Update #1: its day 5 of 30 of NaBloPo and I'm still in it

Update #2: the weather is unbelievably gorgeous.

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine 

Things that have gone down in my world since we last talked:

1. I had a cinematic experience

For family movie night we saw Weird: The Al Yankovic Story.  The kids wanted nothing to do with it.

As far as the hubs and I knew it was a straightfoward biopic, and it took a few minutes before we realized that our chains were being yanked.  This is the biopic that only Weird Al could make.  Movie review: 👍👍👍👍👍  Daniel Radcliff review: 👍👍👍👍👍


Afterwards we hit up YouTube for the originals.  If I *had* to pick a favorite besides all of them, it's Like a Surgeon:

 

2. I'm continuing to adjust to life as a non-runner

In all the time that I was running, my Saturday mornings were slavishly devoted to the Long Run.  And yes I knew that between getting ready for the run, doing a 1-2 hour run, and recovering afterward that was eating up a huge chunk of the day but I didn't realize how much of the day my runs were taking until I stopped.  Now Saturdays are total free time.  I got in a hike with my parents.

3. I had decision fatigue at the Asian Market

On the way back I hit up the Asian market near my parents' house, which I've been meaning to do for a while.  I was after gojuchang, sesame seeds, and plain ramen noodles.

It turns out that this store had 10 million varieties of noodles and I spent an inordinate amount of time examining all the different types and plotting things to do with them.  In the end I had to give it up and walk away with a spicy ramen noodle bowl (which made a delicious late lunch).  Picking out gochujang and sesame seeds was much easier.

Next up: big family dinner tonight at our house.  We're taking it easy and getting pizza (for the second night in a row if anyone's keeping track and I'm good with that).

I hope you're having a good weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Yes, running takes up quite a bit of time, plus sometimes you don't have the energy after to do other things. Decision fatigue is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! I kinda knew that I wasn't doing much on long run day, but once I stopped it was like "yikes...I did absolutely nothing on long run day except run".

      Delete
  2. I am NOT surprised that your Saturdays have opened up. Running can take up quite a bit of time ... and I always wonder why I don't have a lot of time for other things that I'd enjoy LOL

    I think I have to go to our International/Asian Market again and look for some things... I am looking for ramen noodles (not the instant packages) and a big jar of sesame seed would be awesome too (so hard to find elsewhere).

    P.S. Day 5, Birchie... keep plugging away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was hoping to find a bulk pack of plain ramen. I just can't seem to find that anywhere. Oh well I guess that means I'll have to keep going to Asian markets and seeing new things.

      Delete
  3. Like a Surgeon! I forgot about that one. I like pretty much everything he's done, but I really like his polkas. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I idolized Michael Jackson and Madonna back in the day, but Weird Al is the one who had the true staying power. Weird 4-evah!

      Delete
  4. That Weird Al movie sounds so weird. I'm not usually a movie person, but it's getting so much buzz I might watch it. I'm interested in Radcliffe's strange career post-HP and this seems like the height of the weirdness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct! So weird in a way that cannot be described. I never got into HP but I'm in awe of what Radcliffe has done since then.

      Delete
  5. Yes, sometimes I question my sanity. I do my long runs on Sundays, and I usually get up even earlier than on my work days. Some people sleep in, go to brunch... hike with their parents. I can see how it would be nice to open up that time.
    Inspired by you, I've been making gochujang pasta lately. Not any specific recipe, just mixing up stuff that I have around with the gochujang paste- it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha we've all questioned our sanity and if it's only about running than you're doing pretty good;-)

      Delete
  6. Your nature photos are really good! You could pursue photography as a hobby! Another good movie recommendation from you. I will definitely be watch the Weird Al one. I really loved his stuff as a kid. My husband has been injured for 6 weeks and not running, and he is enjoying hikes with his dad. It's good quality time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that Greg gets better soon. It really sucks when you want to run and can't.

      Yes you absolutely positively need to see Weird.

      Delete
  7. Now that your Saturdays are freed up what are you going to do with them. And I apparently missed why you don't run anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quitting running was a long time coming. I had gotten to the point where I was burned out and it just wasn't healthy anymore. I still haven't quite figured out what to do with my Saturdays but I'm sure that I'll come up with something.

      Delete
  8. What you did with the noodles, I just did with bread at my coop last weekend. I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at all the different types, weighing the pros and cons (of bread, seriously) and... ultimately ended up going with the one that I have bought before. Sigh. I wanted to branch out, but my habit-loving-brain didn't let me. I'd probably just buy the generic instant ramen packets and use the noodles from that. Ha! (I'm eager to see your homemade ramen results, btw... will you share more, when you find noodles? Also, I finally got soy curls - go, me! all thanks to you. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's no grand homemade ramen plan. I just think it would be handy to have a bunch of packs of plain noodles on hand though honestly getting the cheapo generics is probably the way to go.

      Let me know how you like the soy curls! And also what you make with them!

      Delete