Saturday, November 12, 2022

NaBloPo: The Saturday Report

 

Hey Friends, I have more than five minutes to talk today!  I'm on the back end of a meal prep session, which means that I've done all of the hands on work and washing up, I'm just sitting around waiting for stuff to finish cooking.  So let's chat!

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine

What's Cookin' Good Lookin'

It's cold and snowing, so it's chili weather.  I've got a batch of Pinch of Yum's Sunday Chili simmering away on the stove.  According to the blog archives, I haven't made this since January 2020 so it's time.  And yes I'm making Sunday chili on a Saturday, that's how we roll.

My second food prep project was a big ol' batch of Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken for the fellas along with a big batch of rice.  I'm in a place where I detest chicken and expect this to continue for the rest of my life, but the rest of the house doesn't have that problem and they're obsessed with this recipe.  So I figured I would give the people what they want.

In other food news, my latest obsession is Shin ramen.  I picked up two bowls when I was at the Asian mart last weekend and I can't stop thinking about it.  The noodles stay a bit crispy instead of getting soggy and the broth is really spicy (yes they have non-spicy varieties as well).  Chances are 100% that I'll stop by the mart again tomorrow and restock.

When I finished my workout right before lunch I was starving and wanting nothing else besides a big ol' bowl of noodles.  I knew that I needed to add something for protein but I also just wanted noodles.  The compromise that I came up with was to swig down a glass of protein powder while I waiting for the noodles to soften.  It seemed like a decent way to get what I needed (the protein) and what I wanted (a bowl of pure noodle goodness).

Fitness report

I finished week one of six of Caroline Girvan's Fuel series this morning.  By rights I should have finished tomorrow but I was a day behind due to traveling yesterday.  One drawback to body split strength workouts is that it can get complicated to catch up when you miss a day.  Since the Friday and Sunday workouts are both full body, I figured it would be easy enough to just double them up today, do some cardio tomorrow if I want to, and then be right back on schedule on Monday.  Well not easy but doable.

Basically Fuel is exactly what I thought it would be, which is strength with a bit of a cardio focus and my review is the same as for every other Caroline Girvan series that I've tried so far: I like it.

I ran another mile after a strength workout earlier in the week and decided to abandon the running-as-knee-rehab project because, well you know, I just don't want to run right now.  My knee is almost 100% better so I think that it just needed time to work its issues out.  I'll stick with 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity treadmill walking after my strength workouts and call it good.

All of the food is ready so I'm off to package up a bunch of chicken (yuck), rice, do the final wash up and then eat a nice steaming bowl of chili.  Stay warm my friends.


15 comments:

  1. I definitely have to put Chili on my meal plan soon and you know I've been having so many ramen bowls recently because they're so good. Very clever to have some protein powder to get your protein in - and THEN have ramen LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my cake and ate it too! Or my ramen...whatever;-)

      Delete
  2. Chili! This is a good reminder for me that I need to find a decent vegetarian version because it's the perfect time of year for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you find a good veggie chili. I'd like to add that into my rotation.

      Delete
  3. I go through anti-chicken phases a lot. And we are having chili for dinner tonight! Chili and football -- yum! (Was this on my meal plan for the week? No it was not.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of meal planning is when you let go of the meal that you planned so that you can have the meal that you want. Enjoy your Saturday night!

      Delete
  4. I haven't made chili forever! That ramen looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. I think that's the brand that they sell at H-Mart - Cheap Lazy Vegan lives in Calgary and I seem to remember that from a grocery haul that she did earlier this year.

      Delete
  5. Well, you made me want chili- I looked at that recipe but there's no good way to vegan-ize it (since it includes beef and bacon.) But now I'm craving a nice big bowl of tempeh chili.
    Yes, Caroline's workouts really work when you just go in order. I'm happy I got back on track and made up the one I skipped. I'll be interested to see what you do after the Fuel series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, I don't think this one would work without the bacon or the meat so it's a no go. Seeing NGS and your comment brought to my attention that I don't have a go-to veggie chili and that would be nice to have to mix things up.

      Delete
  6. I love chili - and ramen. I saw a few tiny flurries last week, but so far no legit snow. I'm really dreading the day. I am still in denial that the leaves are basically all off the trees now and, like it or not, winter is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr! I'm still in denial since it's not that cold yet. I would be very happy to just skip winter and have the nice weather and daylight back.

      Delete
  7. I have been craving chilli for a few days now. I think it needs to be made soon now that the universe send me your post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also need a vegan chili! Let's all ask Jenny to share her recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete