Friday, November 25, 2022

NaBloPo: Thanksgiving Recap

 

Hey Friends, we had an epic Thanksgiving with the fam yesterday.  Here are all the deets!

 

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine 

In the spirit of full transparency I've documented my chicken and turkey phobia many times in this space.  For some reason it's extra intense right now and taking a picture of the finish product was the closest that I could bear to get to it.

The Menu

  • Turkey cooked by hubs.  A few years ago his coworkers hooked him up with this recipe.  The only alteration is that he puts it in an oven roasting bag which seems to add the secret sauce of keeping it juicy while letting the skin get crispy. 
  • I made our go-to gravy recipe.  The issue is that it's a small batch recipe and we had a crowd.  I started by doubling it and then turned right around and made another batch, so note to self, quadruple it next year.  Luckily it takes about 5 minutes to make.  It's a no-drippings recipe but whenever we have drippings I like to add a little bit of them into the broth.
  • SIL#3 made stuffing and mashed potatoes.  She used the giblets from our turkey for the stuffing.
  • SIL#4 made green bean casserole and brought corn and rolls.
  • I opened up a can of cranberry sauce.  The amount of cranberry sauce that it takes to feed 12 people is approximately 1/4 of a can.
  • I made three desserts.
    • The fail: I made my standard chocolate chip cookies with gluten free flour for the benefit of one of my nieces.  Either gluten free baking sucks, possibly the particular flour that I got sucks, or this was the wrong recipe to adapt.  I love my SILs but they were so full of it when they told me that making the dough a day in advance would result in a cookie identical to any other cookie.  The texture was off and they tasted like raw flour. Yeech.  I think that it's probably better to go the route of using a recipe that was designed to be gluten free which is what I will try next time.  Hey GF friends, got any recommendations for me?
    • Fortunately I also made a chocolate chip cookie cake.  I'm not particularly passionate about chocolate chips cookies or cakes but my family adores them and they're very easy to make.  I mean, I want one every once in a while but I'm not obsessed.  Make it a white chocolate chip cookie or a white chocolate chip cookie with nuts and other goodies it would be a very different story.  And yes you guessed, everyone in the fam except for me hates white chocolate with a passion.
    • And pie!  For the past few years I've experimented with other recipes but this year I went back to my roots (a.k.a. my first post) and made the one and only Hungarian Apple Pie.  My primary motivation was that it's easier - it's a single crust pie and it only uses four large size apples but on reflection I think that it's better than the more elaborate pies that I've experimented with.  Also I've made some noise that in spite of the name of this blog that I'm not that into pies but...I was really into this particular pie and I'm looking forward to the leftovers.


When it was time to start the turkey, hubs and I had what we now recognize as our standard Thanksgiving comedy routine that happens every time that we buy the turkey.  Hubs opens up the turkey and attempts to place it in our roasting pan only to discover that our roasting pan is too small for an 18# bird. We then text SIL#3 who is the member of the family who lives the closest to us to ask if she has a roasting pan.  She does not, but she usually has a stash of disposable aluminum pans that are big enough.

We looked back at last year's text chain.  She said she had a pan and then hubs texted back "never mind, I found one".  It's a total mystery what we used since the turkey was about the same size but this year she bailed us out and also GAVE US A SECOND PAN THAT WE WILL USE NEXT YEAR IF WE REMEMBER THAT WE HAVE IT.  NOTE TO SELF FOR NEXT YEAR.

For a final touch I got a sampler pack of miniature Bailey's from Costco and put them out with the wine.  I don't think that anyone drank them at dinner since we kind of had a lot going on already, but everyone was interested so I told them to take them home with them.  I thought that was a nice accent for a party so I'll probably do that again and FYI this is the only reason that I got around to trying espresso Bailey's which is out of this world delicious.

Everyone ate to their hearts content and then some.  Afterwards we played Jackbox TV (Quiplash and Trivia Murder Party are our go-to's there), and then the fam went home.  From there we did a quick clean up and the house is back to normal.  Our waistlines are a different story.

Tell me about your Thanksgiving!  Or your Thursday if you don't celebrate.

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely day you had! Your desserts look amazing, and I am definitely team pie. We, sadly, had no pie, so no pie for breakfast today. Sigh. My daughter made a delicious pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting, though. Yummy.
    We had 8 people, and 2 cranberry sauces...I make whole bean, which I love. Our aunt brings the can, which she loves. Everyone eats whichever they want, or neither if that is their jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pie looks delicious! So does the top get crispy? And yes, you're probably better off just finding a GF cookie recipe next time. GF baking is pretty tricky. OR... you could buy a gluten free pie shell and just put your own filling in it- that would work!
    Sounds like you guys had a really nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way I'm going to attempt GF pastry before I've got GF cookies nailed down...gotta learn to crawl first.

      Thanksgiving was a blast!

      Delete
  3. My Thursday was great, thanks for asking! I love that you have a big box of Cabernet, I would be helping myself if I were there. And those cute little Baileys' what a great idea. My friend Gwen has a blog about vegan and gluten free food, and just this morning this came up in my feed: https://delightfuladventures.com/vegan-gluten-free-christmas-cookies/ So maybe that will help? The boys want me to make that pie, so I will report back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, I will check it out! Yes, having a box of wine is very handy.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm glad yours went so well. Ours was quietly good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful and I had a good giggle of recognition about the annual discovery of something that happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I hope that next year you do remember the aluminum pan! The Bailey's idea is so cute! What a fun touch. I bought some gingerbread flavored Bailey's-style drink for us all to try and... it was fun to try but not fun to drink, if you know what I mean. Glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth do people who don't have blogs keep track of this stuff?

      Yes, sadly I know exactly what you mean by fun to try but not fun to drink. I don't even want a full bottle of regular Bailey's. I just want approximately one drink a year.

      Delete
  6. My GF cookie mix flour recipe is: 6 cups white rice flour (Bob's Red Mill), 1 cup tapioca flour (Bob's), 1 cup potato starch (Bob's), 1 cup corn starch (whatever brand you have), and 1 tablespoon xanthan gum. I mix all that up and use that flour mix as a 1-1 replacement in every cookie recipe, including the OG Tollhouse chocolate chip recipe. I do always put my cookie dough in the fridge to rest for at least 8 hours, as well, but I did this before I had to bake GF, so that's my own personal quirk.

    I swear to you that, while this flour mix is a PITA, it's also impossible to tell when cookies are GF. (This mix does not work well for cakes or most muffins, though. I have not mastered that and honestly the GF Betty Crocker cake mixes are fine. Not great, but fine. Put enough frosting on it and who cares that the cake is a bit gritty?)

    That's my two cents, but you did ask for recommendations, so there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, I asked so THANK YOU for taking the time to tell me! I'm taking notes for next time.

      Delete
  7. How did you not know that you didn't have a pan that would fit a bird? If it happened before?? (But I guess, a year is long... so people forget things, haha.)

    I am definitely team pie. We got two slices from the store this year (since it was only the two of us and we didn't want/need to have pie for days), but next year, I am baking my own apple pie/cake again.

    I am super-intrigued by the mini-Baileys sampler. Baileys is pretty much the only thing I drink (once a year), but the espresso flavor sounds intriguing. I am going to Costco soon, so I'll have to look for the sampler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember that I don't know anything about cooking turkeys. I just buy them and hand them off to the hubs.

      I love getting single serving desserts for a bakery.

      I hope you get the Bailey's! It's a fun thing to have around the house.

      Delete
  8. This is super-late, but I just thought I'd support your no-turkey, no-chicken approach to life. ;) Even before I became mostly vegetarian (with very occasional exceptions to eat some fish in some circumstances), I didn't eat poultry because I'm allergic. Yes, it's weird. Yes, it's super-hard to get people to understand that one can, in fact, be allergic to something like that. But also? I suspect you, too, strongly dislike the smell of a roasting turkey. Blergh. :)

    ReplyDelete