Tuesday, November 1, 2022

NaBloPo: I ain't got time for that

 

November is a great time for blog fans.  It's National Blog Posting Month which means that some of my favorite bloggers write daily posts.  

I've thought about it for the past few years, but there's no way that I can commit to a daily posting schedule.  This year when folks started talking about it, I made some noise in comments that yeah maybe I would do it but as the time got closer, once again I realized that I just ain't got time for that.  Besides, it's just going to be a bunch of "what I ate" plus random pictures of all of the Halloween candy carnage on the streets that I saw on my lunchtime dog walk.

And then as I saw all of the new posts coming out today I got a case of FOMO.  I still don't want to commit to posting daily so what to do...hmm...in running there's a name for when you aren't registered for a race but you show up on race day and run anyway.  It's called "banditing".  So I'm going to sneak on to the NaBloPo course and run for a long as before I have to drop out because I wasn't prepared.

Want the real scoop on NaBloPo and links to all the good stuff?  Head over to The Inbetween in Mine.

Here are a few random things that have gone down since we last talked.

Halloween 2022 was a success!

We had our traditional Halloween candlelight dinner.  Stepson #1 calls the candles "Skelley Boys" and since Halloween dinner is always pretty rushed and/or I forget about them, we've had them for several years now.  I'm not much of a seasonal decorator;-)


Stepson #1 is a die hard Halloween fan, but for the past few years stepson #2 has been "too old" for such nonsense.  But this year #2 was suddenly all about Halloween again, so he hit the streets with his brother.

Surprisingly we didn't have a ton of traffic, so we didn't have to stand at the door for two hours straight, and we didn't run out of candy, both of which have happened in previous years.  It was just a nice and chill Monday night.  Yes we have leftover candy but we also have two teenagers in the house so it's a problem that will solve itself.

Hubs took a quick look at what was on Amazon Prime and pulled up a seasonally appropriate movie for us to watch in our downtime between trick o' treats.  I know you won't believe it from the trailer, but I am here to tell you that Elvira Mistress of the Dark was an unexpectedly not-bad and overall delightful accompaniment to the evening.


I Have a New Food Obsession

Lately all that my family eats for dinner is tacos and I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that especially since the majority of my meals are taco-adjacent.  I helped them out by making up a big pot of Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken for Sunday dinner.  I was craving tacos as well, but not the kind that anyone else in the family wanted.  I sauteed up a pound of shrimp in Trader Joe's crunchy jalapeno lime onion and let me tell you that it was to die for.  It lasted me for Sunday and Monday dinners and today's lunch and I have another pound of shrimp in the freezer so the odds are 100% that I'll make up another round this week.

Possibly Controversial Seasonal Food Item

Yay or nay?

I love eggnog dearly, but couldn't begin to imagine what eggnog flavored yogurt would taste like so I had to try it.

Verdict: Yay?  It's a bit hard to describe.  Yes it's eggnog flavored yogurt but that doesn't quite do it justice.  The best that can I tell you that it was "interesting in a good way".  I only got one and I won't be going back to TJ's for a while so I may never have the chance but yes, I'd get this again.

That's all I've got for right now!  Expect more of the same for as long as I can keep this up!

17 comments:

  1. BIRCHIE!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take it - we'll have you as long as you want to come along for the NaBloPoMo-ride. I can see how it's a little FOMO-inducing. Bandit away!!!! :)

    As for the egg nog yogurt. I want to say I am intrigued, but also skeptical. Maybe I'll pick one up on my next TJs-run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks San! Let's see how long I can string this out;-)

      Delete
  2. Tacos forever! Solidarity.

    Eggnog yogurt does sound interesting. I'm not always an eggnog fan, but I think I like the flavor...hmmmm...I refuse to go to TJ's, so I'll probably never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I refuse to go to TJ's" - or "tell me that you spend less money on food than I do without telling me that you spend less money on food than I do".

      Delete
    2. Haha, I was wondering "why do you refuse to shop at TJs"?? ... this might be the reason (although grocery prices are reasonable compared to some other supermarkets here).

      Delete
  3. Nice one, Birchie! I'm sure you can make it to November 30 and you have enough of entertaining stuff to tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Birchy! I totally understand, I get FOMO too, but although I could probably pull together a post every day (photos of Rex) I couldn't interact with all the participants the way I would want to. So I'm going to just be the cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!!! I seem to remember a while ago you posted every day for a couple weeks... I think you may have been between jobs then so it was easier. But still- I'm very glad you're joining in. Maybe once you get started you'll think of all sorts of things to say and you'll end up doing the whole month. It's not like all my posts are literary, thought-provoking masterpieces (ahem, see today's...)
    I love that you're a NaBloPoMo Bandit. Maybe it will encourage other people to hop in as well. And eggnog yogurt... who comes up with these things anyway???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof I'll say all sorts of things, that's for sure! I do like getting the daily posts from everyone.

      Delete
  6. 1. I have the exact same NaBloPoMo FOMO (wow, that was hard to write) and I am going to give it a go, and then fizzle out early next week most likely. 2. I LOVE your skeleton candles. 3. Off to add that chipotle chicken recipe to my meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaBloPoFo!!!!! It has a nice ring to it. Yes, the chipotle chicken is a crowd pleaser around here. I neglected to mention that I've modified the recipe to the point where I just throw a bunch of frozen chicken breasts, chicken broth, and a bunch of random taco-ish seasonings into the Instant Pot and let 'er rip.

      Delete
  7. I am always struggling to find good movies on Amazon Prime. I will definitely take your suggestion! Sounds like you had a nice Halloween. And I like that concept of writing a blog every day, but that would be hard to commit to. I am lucky if I post once a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but your one post a month will be light years better than my 30 posts!

      Elvira is just so silly and stupid and we saw it at exactly the right time so we loved it.

      Delete
  8. I love coffee yogurt (Dannon brand, have loved it since I was a kid and yogurt came in waxed cardboard containers like milk...?) so would at least *try* the eggnog. That said, I doubt it would make it into the regular rotation. And, glad you had a low-key Halloween - the best kind, in my opinion. Apartment building = no trick-or-treaters, which was just fine with me! (Not a huge Halloween fan, tbh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had coffee yogurt in a very long time...wait now I also haven't had coffee ice cream in a long time. People sometimes very kindly say that they get hungry from reading my blog and I just got hungry from reading your comment.

      Back in my single days I never did trick o treating. It was strictly a lights-off hide out in the back room night.

      Delete