Wednesday, November 9, 2022

NaBloPo: My Cheatin' Heart

Hey Friends, we're kickin it old school tonight with a no pictures post! I'm fresh off a job interview and processing some things.

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine 

Just to catch you up, my work sitch is that I worked for a long time for a wonderful company that got acquired and eaten alive by Big Corporate.  When it got bad I got out, and my current job had a bit of a rocky start that had me looking for something else after six months.  While I was looking things slowly got better so I decided to stay put.  And then out of nowhere a company contacted me and asked me to interview with them so I decided that there was no harm in flirting...

Also I don't think that I've talked about this on the bloggo before, but when I started my career I was a die hard loyal employee.  I hated my job but I stayed with the company for double-digits in years because I thought that's what people did.  I got screwed over when the company was acquired and found myself unemployed at the start of the Great Recession, so that's the underlying thing that has me ready to hit the door every time someone looks at me funny at work.

Here's what I know so far about the new place on the scale of things that I said I was looking for in a new gig.  BTW "BPTW" means Best Place to Work, which means that one of the business objectives is to give a good employee experience.


Pros of current gig: 

  • I love, love, love my boss and my boss's boss.
  • Work life balance is good.  I rarely have to work outside of 8 to 5 and take a full lunch break/dog walk every day.
  • The short term projects are interesting (a bunch of equity stuff from the company going private, getting to take over for my boss while she's on maternity leave).
  • Yes I *could* make more $$$ elsewhere but what I got ain't shabby.

Cons of current gig:

  • Outside of my team, there are a lot of not-nice people, particularly in US leadership.
  • While the company does a lot of good stuff for employees, they can be pretty crummy when they want to be.  Layoffs galore, salary cuts during COVID, etc.
  • Workload is way higher than it needs to be due to manual processes and a lack of technology AT A TECHNOLOGY COMPANY.
  • Way too heavy a focus on accounting and too little on payroll.
  • The company was recently acquired and it's unknown how that's going to play out.  So far it's layoffs and cutting costs, but then again that's every company right now.
  • What am I doing here long term?  Short term we're good but what I am going to move into after the boss comes back?  There's a high likelihood that I'll be hitting the streets next fall looking for a new gig.

What I know so far about Cool Startup:

  • Cool startup vibezzzz!!!!  I've missed that so much every since Big Corporate moved in.
  • I always ask people why they came to work for the company and what they like most about it.
    • Recruiter: "this is a place where I am valued for being myself"
    • Manager: "I love the remote first mentality.  I'm able to work on my own time zone without having to be online 24/7"
  • They're not into doing stuff manually.  They're setting up Big Tech for accounting and payroll which means that I get to be hands on instead of doing everything in Excel.
  • The "day in the life" is exactly what I want to be doing.  I'm into working with systems and talking to people, not doing accounting all day.
  • I like the supervisor.
  • Red flags so far: zero apart from the fact that there has been no discussion of salary expectations.
  • Status: moving on to the next round of interviews.
So that's all I've got.  I won't cry if I don't get this job and yes I feel bad for "cheating" but...oh my I am sure being tempted to stray.

18 comments:

  1. Accounting and payroll on excel spreadsheets ... that's painful! We used to just have an accounting system and payroll was done on spreadsheets but about 4 years ago I moved us across to a cloud based one that included payroll which is so easy. (I no longer need to keep a copy of the tax tables, to work out everyone's tax)

    Good luck with the job, sounds like it would be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch at least our system isn't THAT bad. In a prior life before we had a cloud system I used to hand calculate everyone's W4s when they started so that I could be sure that the payroll company was entering them right. It was great practice for the CPP exam but I don't miss those days.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very promising so far! I would love to know more about why you love startups, or what you mean by startup vibes. I can kind of guess... but most of my preconceptions about startups come from TV, and that usually involves a lot of drama and uncertainty and flux (which would stress ME out, but I suppose would be exciting to someone with a different personality).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should clarify that I like LATE STAGE startups. I once worked for an early stage startup where they had to pass the hat around to their investors every month to make payroll.

      Early stage startup - everyone is stressed and hungry, not fun
      Regular company - crappy corporate stuff
      Late stage startup - the sweet spot where it's not corporate yet so people have freedom to be themselves and just get their jobs done, which makes for a pleasant work day. Chances are that the money is good and the stock is starting to pay off. With any luck you've got a few years of the honeymoon before they get acquired.

      Delete
  3. You absolutely should not feel guilty about considering a move! Companies don't hesitate to do what's best for *them* and neither should you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all very interesting to me, not having any experience in this type of work environment. Looking at all the pros and cons, I'm guessing the deciding factor will be salary? Good luck in the next round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily. Money is nice and I won't take less than I'm making now, but the goal is to find a better fit for what I do and a better company vibe.

      Delete
  5. You really shouldn't feel any guilt about shopping around. I mean, your company would let you go in a second if they could automate what you do. You should be able to find everything you want in a job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I have learned one thing from you just by reading this is that you always have to look out for yourself. Loyalty is rarely rewarded... (and I talk from experience because my job sounds similar to your current job and I am too comfortable to stray, as I have no experience and wouldn't know where to start).
    Just see how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fine! I didn't know how to start last year when I started poking my nose around on LinkedIn. If the need ever arises, you'll figure it out (interview for a billion jobs and get the lay of the land).

      Delete
  7. I love the job search updates. Sounds like you are really thinking through this and trying to make a rational decision. At the end of the day, your "gut" choice will likely win out. It's really hard to find a manager you like, so I am always tempted to stay if I like my direct boss, but definitely other factors have to come into consideration. Startups can be really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is a late comment but I found this post so interesting! I recently took a new job and I think I could have used some more information/inspiration from posts like this. I love the way you think about money/perks. Also, as a person who didn't go into finance and instead went into operations you are making me think I missed a trick not being in finance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I haven't been able to keep up with the NaBloPo posts so I'll be making a lot of late comments myself;-)

      I didn't know very much about job searching before last year which is exactly why I've been writing about the hunt. I'm learning as I go so this is either a "How" or a "How Not To" guide;-)

      Delete
  9. I love following along on your job journey. This sounds intriguing - and given how slooow I am at commenting (Rachel has nothing on me!) I imagine I could jump forward in time and see how things are in the actual now. ;) I do appreciate you sharing all of this. (And I just have to say that one of my thoughts when reading about your current company was, OMG, I hope you do not work for Twitter! [There were some elements of your description that could describe that company and what's been going on... but others didn't align. ;>])

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confirm that I do not work for Twitter. If I did this blog would be a 24/7 rant about work and nothing else. Nah, it's just a "normal" company that got acquired by a "normal" equity company.

      Delete