Monday, November 21, 2022

NaBloPo: The Leftovers

Sigh, I'm in a bit of a NaBloPo rut.  My big idea for today's post just does not want to be written so we'll fill in with scraps.

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine  

Eating: leftovers, glorious leftovers.  I had leftover gyroza and simple fried rice from Friday's dinner for lunch and the last of my shrimp pasta for dinner tonight.  In other news, my family finally finished the last of their burrito fixings tonight, so they'll have to come up with a new idea for dinner tomorrow (don't feel bad for them, they have a pantry and freezer full of quickies).

Workout-ing: how time flies, I just started week 3 of 6 of Caroline Girvan's Fuel Series.  The big win of last week is that I'm finding myself starting to use 8# instead of 5# dumbbells for shoulder press.  After a few weeks of less intense cardio I suddenly found myself wanting to up my game so I'm back to incline treadmill power walking with speed bursts.

Watching: precious little.  NaBloPo is hazardous to your TV viewing, I'll tell you that much.  I have a feeling that I'll be making up for all lost viewing time in December but I'm in no hurry to get there.

How do you handle your TV subscriptions?  Our current thing is that we always have Hulu (just Hulu with no add-ons and not the TV package) and we get Netflix and/or HBO Max on an ad-hoc basis when we want them and are merciless about canceling them as soon as we've watched whatever show we wanted to see.  I've also gotten very comfortable with just renting movies from Amazon on a one-off basis instead of subscribing to something.  We find a decent amount of stuff on the free services (Amazon Prime, Hoopla, and Kanopy) and yes sometimes I get off my butt and go to the library and check out DVDs.  I always say that if we ever wanted cable we'd get it but so far we haven't.

Reading: I've got a new book picked out to start tonight.  Fingers crossed since sometimes it's hard to transition to the next book right after reading a great book (ICYM the book I just read that was everything and a bag of chips was The Accomplice by Lisa Lutz).

That's all I've got for tonight!  Tune in tomorrow and we'll see if I can crank out something better.

15 comments:

  1. Birchie is still in the NoBloPo game! Well done.
    I'm not at all surprised that you can't keep up with your TV watching this month. The blog marathon must be quite time consuming.
    I like your approach to TV subscriptions. We only have Netflix. We have a VPN with which we can log into any country. For example, we can log into the Swiss version of Netflix and get very different content compared to South Africa. That gives us more variety than we will ever need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really cool that Netflix can detect the country and switch you over to what's available. I don't remember which service we tried to use when we went to Mexico a few years ago, but it didn't work because of our location.

      I've thought about getting a VPN but I've never acted on it because I know I'd just subscribe to a bunch random streaming services all over the world. I'd have a bunch of British and Australian stuff, and probably Israel as well.

      Delete
  2. We have way too many streaming services, but every time I say we should get rid of one, someone in the house is in the middle of a show from every single service. I'd love to get rid of cable but my husband is a real sports fan and that is how he watches everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we're watching something on each service I don't mind too much. It's just when we aren't that it bugs me.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on the new book! It's so hard to start something new after something great. I just finished several really good books and then started three new ones and they are all kind of meh. Sigh. The Accomplice cannot arrive at my library fast enough!!!

    We currently pay for YouTubeTV (so we can watch football and Jeopardy, basically) as well as HBOMax. We share Netflix with another family. And I suppose we pay for Amazon Prime as well. Like you, we are happy to sign up for one of the other services on an ad-hoc basis just to watch a show or two. I'm thinking our time with HBO may be nearing its end -- maybe once we finish the newest White Lotus Hotel -- but we'll see. I haven't missed cable one iota since we cut the cord last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HBO is tricky, because it's *almost* good enough to justify having it all the time. Yes, technically we pay for Amazon, except that we have it anyway so it doesn't cost us anything extra.

      Delete
  4. Ooh! You went up to 8# for the shoulder presses- I can appreciate how hard that is.
    We're constantly changing our TV subscriptions. Right now we have FUBO so we can watch all the football games, but my husband is complaining bitterly because it's really expensive. We'll get rid of it when college football is over.
    I agree this is a hard NaBloPoMo week- there's a lot going on. But we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm answering this a few days later, I can make the call that WE'VE DONE IT!!! I mean yes there's another week but it's going to go by in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  5. We have Netflix and Prime. And since I rarely watch any of it, it doesn't really matter much to me. If we did away with both of them, I'd probably be just fine.

    Going from 5 to 8 seems like a big jump! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have 5# and 8# weights so 8 is the only place to go...progress with strength is very slow but it's so gratifying when it happens.

      Delete
  6. You're doing great - keep going!! When it gets hard is when you really put your teeth into NaBloPoMo ;)

    Nice work on the strength training. I need to up my game.

    We still pay for cable. Ugh. And I don't even watch much TV... but we want it for the news and Jon really enjoys the music channels (random, right?). We also have Netflix still. I watch occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're using it and enjoying it (or at least Jon is) there's nothing wrong with that!

      Delete
  7. We share Netflix and Disney+ with another family. We also have Spotify (obviously not TV). And that's it. No cable and we don't even get any "default" channels on our TV. So it's streaming or bust in our household...
    And you're right - NaBloPoMo is intense! It's great, but I'm tired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an antenna but the only time we use it is when the family is over and they want to watch sports. There's just nothing to see on TV any more...

      I've thought about sharing our accounts but then we'd be obligated to keep the service for the person we're sharing with so I'm not sure that we'd come out ahead.

      Delete
  8. Yay for the end of the seemingly endless burritos... but how long did it take before they made them again? ;)

    ReplyDelete