Saturday, November 19, 2022

NaBloPo: My Work Here is Done

 

This morning I headed out to Costco and then sent my status update to our family Thanksgiving planning group text: "my work here is done".

For all things NaBloPo head over to The Inbetween in Mine 

Since we last talked here's what's gone down besides finishing my Thanksgiving shopping.

  • It's Boy Scout camp weekend!  My husband and stepson #2 are currently out in the wild on a very cold night.
  • Stepson #1 had a school event today, so he spent last night with me and is spending tonight with his mom.
  • Stepdog and I are having a single girls' weekend.  It's a three dog night and she's only one dog but she's doing everything that she can to keep me warm.
  • For the past few scout camps I've gone on mini vacations but due to needing to be home tomorrow plus miserable weather I decided to stay home this weekend.
  • But I still got out of the house.  Since this summer I've been on a local tourism quest.  I've learned two things from this: (1) as much as I love living at home and working at home, it is a bit much to spend 24/7 at home, so a little break on weekends goes a long way and (2) I've totally changed my opinion about where I live.  Before this summer I would have told you that I live in a very boring place, but a few months of getting out and seeing things for myself has been a total revelation.  Today's trip was to a small town where a famous movie was filmed.  Like who knew that my corner of the world had ties to Hollywood?
  • Sadly I am getting closer to the point where I will need to put my local tourism quest on hold for the winter.  I've got a list of museums to work through to tide me over until the spring.
  • I treated myself to a "not that complicated" fancy dinner last night.  We had leftover rice, so I made a simple fried rice with scraps from the freezer (here's the recipe inspo) and topped it with Trader Joe's gyroza sauteed in Trader Joe's crispy onion crunch.

That's all I've got for today.  See ya tomorrow!
 

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very cozy solo weekend. I think it would do us all good to explore our immediate surroundings more. I am sure there's lots we miss out on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, I live in Nowhereland and I'm overwhelmed by how much we have. You have even more options in CA.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, the supper looks so good.
    Love the text message; turkey and wine and you're set for Thanksgiving! Speaking of which...I really should start thinking about getting a turkey for Christmas. Last year it was almost impossible to find turkey's in December and I think my family would disown me if there was no turkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some close calls with getting a turkey for Thanksgiving the past few years but always made it in the end. I don't even like turkey but I agree that it would be a downer if we weren't able to get one.

      Delete
  3. I love that you and the dog are having a girls' weekend!
    Where I live used to be the site of many, many movies. Well, nearby. We are close to the Rockies and the foothills are really beautiful, and back in the day Canada had tax advantages for the movie industry. I don't really think it does anymore so we don't have as many films as we used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of the tax advantages went to Georgia. I feel like I see that logo at the end of every show that I watch. I bet you have some beautiful scenery.

      Delete
  4. I have the opposite situation- my son is home and it suddenly seems very crowded and noisy in the house. I love it- but I also would love a weekend alone with a dog (or, my cats.)
    I grew up in an area where tons of movies were filmed, starting with Risky Business, and then all those teen movies from the 80s. Fun fact- you can see our house in Risky Business! It's prominently in the screen for several seconds at one point when he's driving down the street.
    Anyway... quick question for you. I think it was you who posted a cashew stir fry??? With tofu I think? If you happen to see this today, could you link to the recipe? And this time I'll bookmark it so I'll never have to ask again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys got back this morning so things went from clean and quiet to a big noisy mess rapidly! Risky Business is on my list of "80s movies that I haven't seen since the 80s that I want to take another look at".

      This one? https://frommybowl.com/vegan-cashew-chicken-tofu/

      I'm thinking about adding a page to the blog with an index to all of these recipes and a quick note because I have the same problem...I'll remember that I made x that everyone liked by I can't remember exactly when so I can't find it...on my own blog.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely weekend! And I love your slapdash dinner -- great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like being home alone with a fridge full of odds and ends to get some great meal ideas! Why isn't it this easy when the rest of the fam is here?

      Delete
  6. Slapdash dinners are the best, particularly when you are only "cooking" for one human. I hope the dog continues to keep you warm on your solitary weekends (do they continue through winter?) as the weather has again taken a nasty turn...

    ReplyDelete